Troubleshooting Windows File Sharing

Hi Tony,

First off, thanks for the information.   I have been reading on here for a few days and have narrowed my problem down. 

I have a windows XP machine and my roommate has a MAC.  I am trying to share my external hard drive connected to my XP machine with the network.  Both the WDTVLive+ and the Windows machine have the same workgroup and are on the same subnet as my wireless router/dsl modem uses DHCP to assign addresses. 

My issue seems to be only with my firewall.  I have run the net view and nbtstat commands and have verified that my computer is set as the master browser (I Think.  Mine looks like the nbtstat response of your “bignas1” entry in your net view table, excetp that the Master Browser line is below the computer and the workgroup, rather than inbetween the computer and the workgroup as you show).  I have also verified that file and printer sharing is enabled on all profiles (domain and standard). 

When I turn the firewall off, the WDTVLive+ has no problem picking up the media share and accessing and playing files.  I turn the firewall back on, and it will do absolutely nothing when I press “enter” on the “network share” icon.

I saw a post on here about adding an exception in the firewall of 52410.  I tried it, under both type of ports (TCP and UDP) with no luck. 

I have the latest firmware on the device.

Could you think of any reason my firewall would be blocking traffic from the WDTVLive+? Am I correct that like any other computer, it should use the ports open for file and printer sharing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joe