TP-LINK TL-WN821N Version 3.0 Wireless USB Stick

I just bought a TP-LINK TL-WN821N ver 3.0, made a firmware update on my Live Hub, unfortunatly it does not work. Please add support to TP-LINK TL-WN821N Version 3.0 in the next firmware.

Any other ideas?

2 Likes

I 've just bought a new TP Link TL-WN821NC ver 3.0 for my WD TVLive with the same result. I had the same luck with my old faithful Netgear WG111v3 as well as with my Linksys WUSB54GC.

Thats because none of them are on the approved list.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805/kw/wdtv%20usb

Can we request an update to support a product thats actually on the market? 3.1 is the current version of the TP link dongle, lets have some support for that please.

Same problem here. V3.0 does not work. Please WD, add support for newer versions of this usb adaptor.  

And for the guys that have the same problem, please vote (give kudos) for the issue i opened in the ideas lab.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Live-Live-Plus-Ideas/TP-LINK-TL-WN821N-Version-3-0-Wireless-USB-Stick-Support/idi-p/128678

Once again I must say I am disappointed with WD, not only we have to wait several months for the new firmware to be released, but they have not added support for Wireless USB Sticks that are on the market. Very disappointing…

djemile wrote:

Once again I must say I am disappointed with WD, not only we have to wait several months for the new firmware to be released, but they have not added support for Wireless USB Sticks that are on the market. Very disappointing…

You have to remember that the WD box is not a PC. With a PC, you go to the internet, find the right driver, install it, and you are ready to go. With the WD box there is no way that you can install drivers. That means that the WD firmware has to contain the drivers for all of the adapters that they support. It would be impossible to have drivers built in for every adapter that is on the market. That is why WD provides us with a list of supported adapters. If you get an adapter that is not on the list, it might not ever be supported.

Add to this the fact that the adapter manufacturers have a bad habit of changing the chipsets inside the adapters when they change the revision level, and you can see how hard it would be for WD to support everything. Why don’t you just use one that is on the approved list?

Scandy wrote:

djemile wrote:

You have to remember that the WD box is not a PC. With a PC, you go to the internet, find the right driver, install it, and you are ready to go. With the WD box there is no way that you can install drivers. That means that the WD firmware has to contain the drivers for all of the adapters that they support. It would be impossible to have drivers built in for every adapter that is on the market. That is why WD provides us with a list of supported adapters. If you get an adapter that is not on the list, it might not ever be supported.

Add to this the fact that the adapter manufacturers have a bad habit of changing the chipsets inside the adapters when they change the revision level, and you can see how hard it would be for WD to support everything. Why don’t you just use one that is on the approved list?

I agree partly with this. I too was caught out buying the TP-LINK WN821N. The problem is the older cards become unavailable as stock turns over, so finding a version 2.2 card may be problemmatic.  The mistake I made was not checking the firmware version matched when I bought it- in fact I didn’t think the firmware version would matter that much. Have certainly learnt my lesson now. More important is to make sure you buy from a store that will take a return and give an exchange or refund. I am now stuck with a card I can’t use right now which is irritating.

This has been mentioned before…but it would be nice if WD would supply an approved adapter that they officially support. This would make things a lot easier for everyone.

For example, I have Dish Network for satellite TV. They issued a statement saying ‘The Netgear 802.11N model WNDA -3100v2 is the wireless adapter that we officially support’, and they sell it to their customers for $25.00. You don’t have to buy it from them, but they offer a simple, inexpensive option to their customers. WD should do the same thing!

New firmware out, still no support. THANKS A LOT ONCE AGAIN WD!!!

1 Like

Just curious… why buy one that won’t work and then wait months to see if WD will come up with a driver for the unsupported chipset.  Wouldn’t it have been easier to just get one that is supported in the first place?  Or, barring that, return the unsupported one within the exchange period and get one that is supported?

1 Like

i  have asked  tplink about it. The main ic of Version 3.0 is  not same as Version 2.*.

Hi

The USB wireless stick [version 3] work flawlessly in Ubuntu so I guess would be quite easy to copy and paste some code in the WD firmware.