Should I return my WD Live? It won't connect at all!

I am very frustrated with this device.  No matter what I have tried I can not get it to connect to my network/internet.  It always stops at checking DNS.  I’ve tried different ports and cables and have made sure that the IP, DNS, Gateway etc. are correct.

My router is a Netgear Wireless-N ADSL 2 + Modem Router Model DGN2000

My Desktop PC, My laptop and my Android Phone have no problem connecting, wired or wireless.

Is there a solution out there or did I buy a piece of junk?

Have you tried connecting wired to your router?

jmchez wrote:

I am very frustrated with this device.  No matter what I have tried I can not get it to connect to my network/internet.  It always stops at checking DNS.  I’ve tried different ports and cables and have made sure that the IP, DNS, Gateway etc. are correct.

My router is a Netgear Wireless-N ADSL 2 + Modem Router Model DGN2000

My Desktop PC, My laptop and my Android Phone have no problem connecting, wired or wireless.

Is there a solution out there or did I buy a piece of junk?

More info needed on how you connect. Wired or Wireless. Auto or manual connection. Fixed address or not?

is it new and have you up dated the firmware lately. Have you tried reset on side, reset to factory defaults, and unplugging for a time. 

A wired connection is my default.  I also tried connecting a wireless USB adapter but the menu only showed wired options not the wirelss menu that the manual shows.  I did update to the latest firmware through  flash memory , whic was recognized by the WD live.

Back to the wired connection.  I’ve tried automatic and manual.  The automatic always fails and gives me,  either all zeros or the wrong IP addresss (169 something).  In manual I’ve put the right IP adddress (182.168.0.4 - 4th device on the network), Subnet mask (255.255.255.0), Gateway (192.168.0.1) and DNS (192.168.0.1).   These are the numbers that work with my laptop, desktop and everything else I have.

When trying out the connection the machine accepts the IP adress but goes on an endless loop trying to recognize the DNS.

Like I said, I am about to return this.  I think that WD is going the route of HP, selling devices that look great on paer with great features at a really low price but you get what you pay for.  The cheap HP motherboards overheat, the connections loosen and you end up with a brick.

Well it is of course your choice to return it. But if you are willing to give more information you may get some help. As already asked of you. Give meticulous details of your network setup. In other words, please say how the WD TV Live is “connected” to your network a cable or a WiFi dongle on the USB port. Then if you have a router, how is it setup; some routers have Mac Address filters that only allow devices they know to obtain an IP address. Is your router set with a password to prevent others to use you network? What brand is your router?  The more details you give the better we can help…  Al

jmchez wrote:

A wired connection is my default.  I also tried connecting a wireless USB adapter but the menu only showed wired options not the wirelss menu that the manual shows.  I did update to the latest firmware through  flash memory , whic was recognized by the WD live.

Back to the wired connection.  I’ve tried automatic and manual.  The automatic always fails and gives me,  either all zeros or the wrong IP addresss (169 something).  In manual I’ve put the right IP adddress (182.168.0.4 - 4th device on the network), Subnet mask (255.255.255.0), Gateway (192.168.0.1) and DNS (192.168.0.1).   These are the numbers that work with my laptop, desktop and everything else I have.

When trying out the connection the machine accepts the IP adress but goes on an endless loop trying to recognize the DNS.

Like I said, I am about to return this.  I think that WD is going the route of HP, selling devices that look great on paer with great features at a really low price but you get what you pay for.  The cheap HP motherboards overheat, the connections loosen and you end up with a brick.

The usb adaptor will only work if it is on the approved list and compatible with the WDTV Live. The internal menu will not show if you don’t use a recognised adaptor.

I assume that you mean (192.168.0.4 - 4th device on the network) not 182.168.0.4

After upgrading the firmware it is best to:

reset via the side button with the unit on (use a paperclip)

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplug the unit from power for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 before using the unit.

This sometimes cures problems after upgrading.

Are you sure the wired connection is good?   Meaning, you get Link Lights on BOTH ENDS of the connection?

Something happened this morning that made me say “HMM?”.  I turned off the WD live the night before.  This morning I turned it back on and decided to try and check the connection again.  I did not change anything. Weirdly and magically the device was seen by the network, something that had happened before even after two hours of trying.

Again, my laptop and desktop had no connection problems the night before and none this morning.  Does WD live need to be cool before it connects? Just throwing an idea out there because I don’t know what could possibly be the difference.  Anyway, now I’m a little bit gunshy as to going forward with the full streaming and sharing experience after my experience and reading so many postings of people having problems.  I’ll give it a try.

Thanks to all of those who replied and tried to help.  To the one who asked wether I had plugged the cable; Not funny.

You seem to imply that you don’t normally turn your WD Live unit off (but you may not have intended that).  If that’s true, that’s the explanation.  After a firmware update,. as Rich suggested, you often need to either reset the unit, or power it off and on, and there’s no clear indication you did either.

I would NOT leave the Live on all the time - like any other device, it uses power and will wear out faster being left on.  Turning it off when not in use is a Good Idea, and may avoid many issues with it.

(And while I’m not sure which one of us you are referring to, I doubt in either case whether we were trying to be funny.  I didn’t know if you had tried it wired, and Tony didn’t know if you had a good connection.  In neither case were we trying to be anything other than helpful).

Yeah, sorry if you took that as a jab, it wasn’t my intent.   If you go look at my thread called “A Pull-out-my-hair experience,” you’ll see the kind of frustration a marginal wired connection can cause.   …In fact, it happened to me again last night, but now I know the symptom to watch for:  

When selecting any server, when the cable’s gone wonky, the spinner takes about 10 seconds to bring up the folder list.   When the cable is behaving, it’ll come up in about 2 seconds.

jmchez wrote:

Something happened this morning that made me say “HMM?”.  I turned off the WD live the night before.  This morning I turned it back on and decided to try and check the connection again.  I did not change anything. Weirdly and magically the device was seen by the network, something that had happened before even after two hours of trying.

Again, my laptop and desktop had no connection problems the night before and none this morning.  Does WD live need to be cool before it connects? Just throwing an idea out there because I don’t know what could possibly be the difference.  Anyway, now I’m a little bit gunshy as to going forward with the full streaming and sharing experience after my experience and reading so many postings of people having problems.  I’ll give it a try.

Thanks to all of those who replied and tried to help.  To the one who asked wether I had plugged the cable; Not funny.

In answer to your problem I replied:

Have you tried reset on side, reset to factory defaults, and unplugging for a time.

and

After upgrading the firmware it is best to:

reset via the side button with the unit on (use a paperclip)

reset to factory defaults via the internal menu

unplug the unit from power for some minutes (not seconds)

Do all 3 before using the unit.

Did you do any of those things? If not whats the point in us advising you.