Poor Blu ray playback from Network Share

Hi everyone,

I’m experiencing poor playback of Blu Ray files from my network shares.The problem is similar to the symptoms described in this post:  .MTS File wont play / play properly Generally the file takes a very long time to start playing, anything up to a minute and then may play ok for a while until it starts playing up. Audio dissapears, the picture stops and starts in fits and bursts.

I have discoverd that if I copy them to a portable drive and plug that directly into the WDTVLive, they play ok.

The discs have been ripped to hard rive by AnyDVDHD, I have three PC’s on my network all of which are Win 7 x64 and all reasonably fast machines with lots of ram and fast hardrives (one is a Xeon workstation). The problem occurs on playback from all three machines.

I had done an update to the latest firmware 1.06.15 but the problem persisted. I have currently rolled it back.

Can anyone help?

Are the WD and all of your computers using a WIRED network?   … or Wireless?

Yes, they’re all connected via Gigabit ethernet to a Cisco rv220w router.

One of the PC’s is after an SG-100D-08 Gigabit switch (unmanaged), but the other two are connected directly to the Router, as is the WDTV Live.

The problem persists across all three.

Are you trying to play blu-ray ISO files or MKV files through the network shares?  The WD doesn’t pply BD ISO files well, or often even at all.  MKVs often play well, but it depends upon their complexity I have found.  I prefer to play blu-rays from the disc itself, or an MKV version from the HD connected to the Live player.

I am trying to play m2ts files, but I have also tried re-muxing to .mkv and even re-muxing the m2ts with only the main video and audio file.

I also tried re-muxing to m2ts with the audio stripped to the DTS core (having read there are issues with the WDTV passing DTS-MA)

All of these files played ok from a HD connected directly to the WDTV Live, but not from a network share.

Solved. See here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/WDTV-Live-having-trouble-with-full-HD-playback-over-network/m-p/356475#M9131 WDTV Live having trouble with full HD playback over network