Permission denied on WD media live hub share on network - MAC

I have a mac that I have hooked\networked up to the WD media live hub. I am able to see the device from my mac and it is able to see my mac. Transferring files is no problem except after I create a folder when I try to click into them says permission denied. They do not lock right away but they do lock. I am wondering if it is the device indexing the files? I have a sambe connection between them. I still can get root access but the folders I can no longer access. So if I have a TV series in a folder I can no longer add new ones to an old folder. This is really making me consider the older model since streaming works fine for me. Note, I have NOT updated the firmware yet. 

I’m guessing you’re mounting them with improper masks.   I’m not too familiar with Mac OS, but in Unix-land, you have to mount them with like 0777 permissions (or whatever you need) in order to do what you need to do.

Here’s the command I use in linux:

mount -t cifs //10.0.0.156/wdtvlivehub /mounts/temp

[root@mars ~]# mount

//10.0.0.156/wdtvlivehub on /mounts/temp type cifs (rw,mand)

So would I do something like…

mount -t smbfs //server/sharename share

“Share” is some folder I can create in my home directory. Does this make it 0777 permission automatically? I came from the linux world FYI.

It’s going to be up to whatever you define in smb.conf, I would think.  I’m not sure what the defaults would be for yours.

Well I think it is a mac thing for sure. Under the console I can gain access to the shared folders. However, the finder give me a permission error and does not give me access. Hopefully someone can tell me how to fix this on a mac. There are plus symbols at the lower left corner of the folder icon and has pop up screen that states “The folder ‘’ can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.” Tried to mount it with the console but still can not access the folders.

Think I found solution… will try tonight and let you know.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2135793&tstart=0

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/Volumename  <HIT RETURN/ENTER HERE>
sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/Volumename  <HIT RETURN/ENTER HERE>
sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Volumename  <HIT RETURN/ENTER HERE>
sudo chmod -N /Volumes/Volumename  <HIT RETURN/ENTER HERE>

Think this will fix it.

Looks like I found the solution. Do the following in console

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chmod -N /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

Last command doesn’t seem to work but everything is fixed now! Don’t know if I have to do this everytime or not.

I had the same problem with accessing the files and did all that, but ist still does not work.

you must know, that i have a ‘deeper’ file/folder structure then just copying the files in the root folder.

see the screenshot:

james10174 wrote:

Looks like I found the solution. Do the following in console

sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

sudo chmod -N /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub/*

Last command doesn’t seem to work but everything is fixed now! Don’t know if I have to do this everytime or not.

I had the same problem, and I think I have a simpler answer.

It should also help fverquin with the problem about deeper files and folders not being accessible.

Just do this:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Volumes/WDTVLiveHub

Where -R means ‘apply this command recursively to the entire directory tree (under WDTVLiveHub, that is)’

and 777 means ‘let ANYONE read/write/execute these files’.

You will have to do this every time you connect to the Hub, because for some reason Mac OSX defaults this connection so that the user can write and execute files (yeah, sounds odd, but this is necessary to delete files or overwrite them), but not read them.  Huh.  Not going there.

There are some other sneaky things one might try, but I don’t know the Mac OS well enough to guess what other trouble might arise.  A simple script file with the command as above could be run easily each time the connection is made, and that might simplify things.

Good luck!