Occasional Visitor
BBock727

Re: Network shares not showing up

Hey man, had the same problem as you w/ the WDTV Live and the Linksys e2000.  I am about to try your fix now.  Just changed my workgroup for my desktop to WORKGROUP-NEW and now im going to do same on WDTV.  I guess the router will always default to WORKGROUP?   Any reason i wouldn't want to do this? ie having my router on a different workgroup than my pc?

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

I would change the router instead of all the PCs, but it's up to you...
===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Occasional Visitor
BBock727

Tony, what do you mean by that?

I ended up changing the workgroup on my pc and it worked. 

I have the e2000, so I don't know how to change the routers workgroup.  Router doesnt have a setting to change the workgroup name.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Agggh!   Never mind, bbock...  I'm having a hard time paying attention.

The E2000 doesn't do Microsoft networking, so I'm having a hard time grasping how it's interfering with shares.   But you're at least the seocnd person who's been able to fix the issue by changing workgroup names, so I guess it doesn't matter.

In short:  Never mind my post.  :smileyhappy:

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Occasional Visitor
BBock727

Yes, I was able to see my shares by changing the workgroup of the wdtv and the desktop.  A new problem has occurred tho.  Since i got the e2000, I can no longer autologin.  I checked the registry to make sure i changed it properly in win 7 x64 ultimate.  I also turned off autologin, logged in, then reset login info and turned auto login back on (all in wdtv live seetings).  When I have autologin, it just hangs at "connecting..." and cannot access my shares.

If i log in as anonymous w/ a blank password, it seems to find them just fine.  I have not used it enough to see if its consistent, but the 3 times i tested it, I was able to get in when i manually signed in.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Regular Visitor
seniorhelm

I run into this problem with my fathers setup of his wdlive plus, for whatever reason I couldn't get the WDlive to autologin into the network share, it would normally hangup at connecting. Once in a while it would auto connect fine but about 90 % of the time it would sit at connecting. I just ended up telling him he would have to manually connect it no biggie but a little pain in the rear.  He had windows 7 home with linksys E2000

Occasional Visitor

I'm having the same problem: My computer's HDD won't show up in network storage. It used to work fine a few months ago, but I hadn't used it for a long time until today.

I changed the workgroup name for both my computer and WDTV Live Hub. My drive showed up for a few seconds and then I was prompted to enter a username and password. After entering the username and password (which at this time I am assuming is my Windows login and password), I received a message saying "known error". Since then it isn't showing my drive any more.

Strangely enough, I can still access the WDTV Live Hub hard drive from my computer.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 and Linksys WRT160N router. Any suggestions?

Valued Contributor
c_criner

[ Edited ]

Geez..just got a refurbed Linksys e3000 today since my TP-Link router can't hold an internet connect any more, and now I'm in the same boat as others - can't access any of my WD devices via my Win7Pro64bit desktop. I don't even recall having to set up workgroups when I connected the WD devicesbefore ...they just worked.

Already I'm missing my TP-link...

update..oh WHEW! Renamed my router workgroup to "workgroupnew" & rebooted PC, and everything is now connected again.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD