Network drops every approx 4 minutes

It’s not surprising that they would try to shove the problem off on your gear, rather than own up to it themselves.

I won’t tell you what to do, but if you decide to return the unit, then call WD back and tell them. Might get a little attention.

nice post! I ALSO have not seen any WD employees post and give us an update of whats going on with it? Whats the point of these forums if they are not going to post?

If I can help I will, maybe implement a debug LOG in the next firmware so we can enable it and submit these somewhere on the WD site?

BUMP

WD has community managers that monitor these sites. Unfortunately they’re not the technical staff that design or program these devices.

BTW Beta firmware worked fine for the past few days until tonight… Back to the drawing board.

TNIYM wrote:

WD has community managers that monitor these sites. Unfortunately they’re not the technical staff that design or program these devices.

BTW Beta firmware worked fine for the past few days until tonight… Back to the drawing board.

Beta firmware? and it konked out? Wow.

My unit hanged a couple of days ago, and I had to unplug it to get it going again. Don’t know of any firmware changes, though.

I think the only thing the WD managers do is check for cussing and profanity, which many of us feel like using here. LOL

TheTooleMan wrote:

I think the only thing the WD managers do is check for cussing and profanity, which many of us feel like using here. LOL

As they are simply ‘moderators’ thats all they have to do. However I get your drift.

Bought yesterday the WD TV Live (sigh) and after some minutes lost my share.

Looked on the forum and tada I was not the only one.

I stopped 2 services in W7

HomeGoup Listener and

HomeGroup Provider.

My WD is running for over 4 hours now  whitout loosing his share, did not only run movies but also walked throug the menu’s.

Have others tried this?

Pipo10,

Hopefully the two changes you list will fix problems for a number of people.

I am running Vista Home Premium, XP Pro, and Windows 2000 on three computers. Vista is the only one giving me network share disconnection problems now. I do not see the two services you named in “Services” under Administration Tools in the Control Panel. Do you know whether they can be accessed in Vista?

Meanwhile, I just read about a new competitor to the WDTV Live, the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+™ HD media player. Sounds like it does everything the WDTV Live does, and doesn’t do some things we would like the WD to do, like connect to Netflix. A review I read says the unit does connect to the network shares, and doesn’t mention dropping the connection. We’ll have to wait to see how responsive Seagate is to the other issues expressed in the reviews. Let’s hope it’s better than WD has been.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Theater-Player-STCEA201-RK/dp/B002MZZWT0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269545671&sr=8-16

I never used vista, went over from Xp to W7

(Ps Homegroup was implemented in W7)

The reason of disabeling the 2 services, is my guess, that it has to do with incombatibility of IPv6.

I also tried to disable Ipv6 alone but that doesn’t do the trick.

At this moment the WD TV live is still running for over 7 hours, i start every time a new film whitout distortion untill now. :slight_smile:

{Further i noticed only people in theforum with windows machines having the problem, not seeing people with NAS equipment.}

I’ve tried disabling those two homegroup services and so far so good. The problem is spuratic, so i’ll monitor it for a few days and update with how it’s doing.

This weekend  i watched 4 movies nearly 8 hours

Including last friday its around 16 hours whitout a hitch :smiley:

For me this patch worked fine in W7

Pipo10 wrote:

This weekend  i watched 4 movies nearly 8 hours

Including last friday its around 16 hours whitout a hitch :smiley:

For me this patch worked fine in W7

Great! So how do you do that in Vista?

sorry I don’t know, never used Vista

But it’s definitly a problem in de HD live concerning ipv4/ipv6 compatability

Hopfully they will resolve it.

OK, so i think i’m totally fed up with this thing. I tried watching a movie today and now it wont even connect to my network shares. I click network shares and it just sits there. I tried unsharing folders and re-sharing them, i rebooted my pc, rebooted wd.

It seems to me like this thing is more trouble than it’s worth. I shouldn’t have to tinker with it everytime i want to use it.

Indisent wrote:

It seems to me like this thing is more trouble than it’s worth. I shouldn’t have to tinker with it everytime i want to use it.

Exactly right! Return it for a full refund.

So i turned it on today and there was a firnware update available…1.02.21

Issues seem to be resolved for now.

Which issues are those?

All so far…but that’s how this thing seems to work. It either works great or has issues for no reason.

the new official firmware has finally fixed my network dropping issues!! THANK GOD!!

Funny how this was posted on April Fool’s Day!

cannotSTREAM wrote:

the new official firmware has finally fixed my network dropping issues!! THANK GOD!!

Meanwhile, the new thread regarding the terrible problems associated with the latest firmware has been filling up.

And now this announcement from June 9 about the new WDTV Live Plus, which supports streaming movies from Netflix!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveI D=832

If WD wants to curry favor with the early adopters, who bought the WDTV Live before it could support Netflix streaming and have put up with its never-ending problems, they should offer us a rebate on a “Plus” unit by turning in the ones we bought earlier. Otherwise, we’re going to post negative reviews of the old units on every site offering the “Plus” as a warning to potential buyers. Right?

This really is a slap in the face to those of us who have put up with the antics and incompetence of WD for all these months.

How many times are you going to crosspost this?