Network Share issue

Password proteced sharing is turned off. Also I don’t have a Windows 7 logon password.

Hagel wrote:
You need to turn of password on shares from control panel in w7 to be able to use “anonymous”, else you have to use your w7 logon account name as user name. Hagel

That is correct; 

What Hagel is referring to is found in the Network and Sharing Center, then click Change Advanced Sharing Setings (in the menu on the left),  follow these settings in your “Current Profile.”

Network Discovery ON

File and Printer Sharing ON

Password Protected Sharing OFF

If that still doesn’t work, make sure you don’t have Windows Live Sign-In Assistant installed.   If you do, that will munge things up.

Thanks. My advanced sharing settings are as you describe. In addition, I checked in my add/remove programs area for windows live sign in assistant, and it is not on my PC.

You said you’re trying to sign in with User ID “Anonymous” and BLANK password, right?

If that’s not working, then something on your PC is preventing login.   Do you have ANY other Live components installed?

That’s correct. I am trying to sign in with userid annonymous and the password field left blank.

I do have the following Windows Live components installed: Windows live Mail, Windows Live Moviemaker, and Windows Live Photo Gallery.

what version of WRT610N do you own? V1 or V2?

im pretty sure its V2 like mine…

try changing the WRT610Ns workgroup to something other than “workgroup” (under storage-administration tab )

eg. HOME

switch off your router and turn it on again. go back to storage-administration tab and check if the workgroup has changed?

if it has, read…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/wdtv_live_networking/message-id/3443

I have version 2 to of the WRT610N. I had already  changed the name in the workgroup tab of the router to something else. It does not change back to workgroup as described in your link…

alstein wrote:

I have version 2 to of the WRT610N. I had already  changed the name in the workgroup tab of the router to something else. It does not change back to workgroup as described in your link…

once you change your workgroup on your WRT610N to something else.

restart your windows 7 PC and turn on your WDTV Live.

I restarted windows, but prior to doing so, I also unplugged my odem and router for a short time, then powered them up again. I also reset the WD TV. Same result on setwork shares. As I wrote in an earlier posting, I am able to access my music, pictures and video via the network server choices. If network share is such a hassle, is it worth the trouble?

If network share is such a hassle, is it worth the trouble?

That depends on what you want to do.   Media Servers are choosy about what file formats they understand.  NONE will play DVD ISOs.

But if that doesn’t apply to you, then perhaps Media Server is your best bet…

If you want to troubleshoot this further, it’s going to take some work on your part to do it, but I’m willing to assist…  Just let me know…

For now, try out these steps:

Go shut off everything except your ROUTER, your WDTV, and your server computer.

Now, from a CMD prompt on your server, issue the command

NET VIEW

You should see a list of “Windows” compatible devices that are discovered on your network.

If the list is EMPTY, the problem is on your server.

If you do see a list, then for EACH NAME in the list, execute the command

nbtstat -a (name)

and post the output of ALL of these steps back here.

Thanks for your help. Wiht my Desktop PC (which is my server computer) turned on along with the WDTV, Net View in cmd prompt results in my server PC showing up. When I then entered:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Aron> net view
Server Name            Remark

[\ARONSDESKTOP-PC](file://%5C%5CARONSDESKTOP-PC)      ARONSDESKTOP-PC
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Aron> nbtstat -a (aronsdesktop-pc)

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.100] Scope Id:

Host not found.

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id:

Host not found.

Wireless Network Connection:

Host not found.

Thanks

alstein wrote:

ok. i went and re-installed my wrt610ns firmware and also did a hard reset,

router is now remembering changes to workgroup setting.

have changed it to home. and all pcs and wdtv live back to default WORKGROUP.

network shares still working.

if im not wrong, once you change wrt610ns storage workgroup to something other than its default eg HOME.

wdtv live will see your pcs that have a network share.

if you have problems with wdtv logging into the network share then i believe it is how you have shared your folders in win7.

i have password protection turned ON for network shares.

however all my pcs share a common username/password to login to windows.

i also use control userpasswords2_   _ tip so that i dont have to type in my password everytime my pc starts.

also with firmware 1.03.38, unlike the official 1.02.21, wdtv will remember login details for multiple pcs.

previously, if i logged into a network share for pc1 and then tried to login into pc2 i would have to re-enter username / password for pc2 even though i had set wdtv to remember them.

Hi. I followed your suggestions and posted them several days ago. I would like to get network shares working, but if this is not in the cards I am willing to live with accessing mdia server. unfortunately even this is flakey. I added some videos to my flipshare directory which I was previosly able to access using the WD media player, but it does not see the recent additions. I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works. I’ve disconnected and re-connected WD live, reset WD live, rebooted my PC, rebooted modem and router to no avail. I’m almost ready to pack this in and wait until something else comes along that makes the prcess easier. Thanks.

alstean,

Sorry, I guess I confused you.  Don’t put parenthesis around the server name.

It would be 

nbtstat -a aronsdesktop-pc

not

nbtstat -a (aronsdesktop-pc)

HI: after typing NET VIEW, I get

C:\Users\Aron>net view
Server Name            Remark

[\ARON-VAIO](file://%5C%5CARON-VAIO)
[\ARONSDESKTOP-PC](file://%5C%5CARONSDESKTOP-PC)      ARONSDESKTOP-PC
[\WDTVLIVE](file://%5C%5CWDTVLIVE)             WDTV LIVE
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Aron>

Prior to posting the results of nbstat- a name, I would like to know if there is any risk of someone accessing my network from the information that I will post.

Thanks. 

Well, not in a practical sense, unless they’re ALREADY in your network.  But, if you’re (rightly) concerned about security, we can do this in PM’s if you prefer… 

HI. I’m ok posting here:

C:\Users\Aron>nbtstat -a aronsdesktop-pc

Local Area Connection 2:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    ARONSDESKTOP-PC<00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    ARONSDESKTOP-PC<20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    …__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-1B-FC-63-35-1F

Local Area Connection:

Host not found.

Host not found.

and

C:\Users\Aron>nbtstat -a WDTVLIVE

Local Area Connection 2:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    WDTVLIVE       <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVE       <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVE       <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Local Area Connection:

Host not found.

Host not found.

Thanks

Well, THAT’S surprising…  You have a correctly identified Master Browser, and it’s running on the aronsdesktop-pc system.

That’s usually the best of all circumstances…    So, in that condition, the WDTV isn’t seeing ANY servers under Network Shares??

One thing I do note is that the name of your PC is the LONGEST possible name.   

I wonder what might happen if you shorten the name?

The wdtv does see the servers in network shares. But when I click on the apprpopriate icon,  it asks for userid and password, which I leave at default, and blank for password, and then get the message" the network shares cannot be accessed". That is the problem. I cannot get past the signin sccreen in Network shares.

The only way to dig into this further will be to run Wireshark on one of your sharing PCs so we can see the actual exchanges between the WDTV and the server…

See the post  http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/How-to-run-WIRESHARK/m-p/33862/highlight/true#M3080

and check your PMs.  I’ve sent you further instructions on where to send the data.