My LAN disconnects when streaming from WDTV Live

Hey Guys,

Im not really having Share issues,

I can see my network Shares, see my Media Server (PC with movies in it) from my WDTV LIVE, everything is fine in that aspect.

but its when i STREAM anything…anywhere between 5-30mins the movie freezes…i come back to my PC to check whats going on…
i realise the LAN icon has been disconnected. (i enable / renable the LAN)… it works…but then again when i play the movie it disconnects.

Im running Windows 7, and at time i leave my PC on downloading for 24hrs without an issue, its only when im streaming from WDTV Live. Ive also got the latest LAN driver for my moboard

i am running a Netgear DG834PN Wireless Modem Router, and my WD is connected via a DLINK DWA-125 Wireless USB (b/g/n) (compatible)

Any ideas??

There is installed software that might do this – make sure you don’t have Windows Live ID assistant installed.  But offhand I’d guess it was a wireless issue (to make sure, directly connect the Live and see if you have the same problems.  If not, you know it’s a wireless issue).  (There are also issues with some router firmware).  Make sure you look at the (long) thread called something like “network disconnects every 15 minutes” for other ideas.

I have Microsoft Live Sign-In Assistant…

which i just uninstalled…

My Modem router has the latest firmware…but ill check again if theres newer.

Ill have a look at the thread, thanks for the suggestion…

If i connect my WD via cable and it doesnt disconnect…what can i conclude?

First of all, if you uninstalled that MS program make sure you then reboot and possibly even reboot the Live completely (following the three steps: reset, power plug pull while on, and reconnect via your new connections).

If it doesn’t drop out directly connected then it’s a wireless issue but don’t worry about that just yet (one thing at a time).

Ok done that, and did a hard reset…still doing the same thing =(

my wireless modem router is fine, because i left my PC on for 48hrs downloading and the LAN didnt disconect.

and i doubt its the DLINK DWA-125 USB Wireless causing it…

i read on that long forum "my internet drops every 15 minutes) that apparently if you change the WORKGROUP name back to WORKROUP its fixed it for some…

at present ive changed mine on the Live according to whats on my PC…

But i dont know how or why a workgroup will do it

It could still be your router and/or the net card – the Live is a different beast from a PC and thus you can’t translate experiences from one to the other.  To eliminiate the wireless from the equation you really will have to at least temporarily try moving the Live so it’s hardwired.  If it still disconnects then it’s not the wireless, but if it does you’ve narrowed the problem down.

=( ok ill do that…

its a good idea

Just a quick thought…

I tried setting Workgroup as Workgroup on the WDTV and on MY PC.

I streamed a movie (non hd) for 30mins, not cut-offs…i had to stop it because i had to go somewhere

this could be an islolated incident…so…im going to be watchign Avatar 2nite…ill see how it goes…if the workgroup dont fix, im trying the LAN method… =)

nope…its very random,

played most of th emovie without a problem,

tried a different movie (not even HD, just DivX) and it disconnected my LAN.

I even got a NEW NETGEAR DG834PN RangeMax ADSL Modem/Router,

and it it the same thing.

What i dont understand is this, How in the hell can a media player with a Wireless USb Dongle ACTUALLY DISCONNECT/DISABLE my LAN??? HOW?!!

What are WD DOING ABOUT THIS FREAKIN PROBLEM???!

If your PC is actually saying that the CABLE IS DISCONNECTED, then it’s NOT the WDTV.   You’ve got something wrong with your PC or switch or something else physical.

There’s no way an external device could make your PC think the cable was removed.

I doubt WD is doing anything about it since it’s not their issue.

Do you have a different PC to test against?

blizzard wrote:

nope…its very random,

played most of th emovie without a problem,

tried a different movie (not even HD, just DivX) and it disconnected my LAN.

I even got a NEW NETGEAR DG834PN RangeMax ADSL Modem/Router,

and it it the same thing.

What i dont understand is this, How in the hell can a media player with a Wireless USb Dongle ACTUALLY DISCONNECT/DISABLE my LAN??? HOW?!!

What are WD DOING ABOUT THIS FREAKIN PROBLEM???!

It is possible that it is to do with the firmware on your netgear router. I have a DG834G and when I used the latest firmware and switched on an internet radio it would bring down the network. I had to go back to a earlier firmware release before everything worked OK. Are you saying that you have tried different routers and had the same result.

Well i havnt used a totaly different router,

I just bought another of the same one, Netgear RangeMax DG834PN Wireless Modem/Router

Im not sure if its a firmware issue either, its very weird.

I really dont want to go out and buy ANOTHER DIFFERENT Wireless Modem Router just to test of its the router or the media player, this media player initially costing me $190 AUD is going to end up costing me $500

I should have gone with the Netgear Media Player.

Yup, its never your PC or your system settings or the way you used the computer which could have resulted in conflicts, its always the equipment

what a joke