Media Servers that can stream internet radio/video to the WD Live

Hi.

I am searching for a good media server that would stream content to the WD live, originating form the internet.

All media servers can stream local content (on local hard disk where the media server is installed) to WD, but not all can stream internet sources.

I had some success with TVersity in streaming shoutcast radio but could not stream video (using the free version). The fact is, I found the interface of TVersity really bad and decided to uninstall it. 

Can Twonky stream internet radio/video? 

Any other ms that is good for that? I prefer something that can run on linux (I use ubuntu as a media server). Have anyone tried streaming with xbmc? I could not make it stream internet content. Or LinuxMCE/mythtv?

thanks 

try playon.com and see if that is what you are looking for.  It has multiple free plugins available and is fairly simple to use.  Fair warning though…the latest firmware renders playon unable to connect to the internet so if you are running 1.04.10_b  you may have problems.

If you have an Apple mobile device (e.g. iPhone or iPad), might be worth taking a look at this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/FREE-iPhone-Media-Controller-for-all-WD-TV-Live-Devices/td-p/94956

Tried ZappoTV on my iPad and, lack of proper iPad UI aside, it works really well for streaming SHOUTcast radio (hundreds of stations to choose from) and also for streaming video podcasts (again, many to choose from).

Not 100% sure but when you stream YouTube using it, it seems to stream HD, rather than the SD content the Live is limited to.  In any case, YouTube looks better when initiated via ZappoTV.

It’s free… you need to create an account (again, free) and I’m assuming they’re just monitoring your usage / viewing stats and selling on the info to turn a profit.  There’s also a blank space in the UI where I’m assuming they’ll place an Ad eventually.  But it’s hardly obtrusive.  

Worth a shot if you’ve got any Apple mobile gear in your house.  ;)

Thanks.

I actually do not have iOs device at home so unless they come up with android support, I cannot use this.

Just to understand regarding Zappo, does it make your ipod/phone/pad a media server - does it mean the device is streaming content to WD live? This sounds too much demanding from a device that runs on batteries.

I see you’re using Twonky, is it any good? Can it stream internet content?

ZappoTV does seem to make your iDevice into some kind of media server; when it pushes content, it does so in a way that makes the Hub think it’s coming from Windows 7 (must be using PlayTo).

But I don’t think the iDevice does any hard lifting, it just makes the Hub (or Live) aware of the content stream in a way that lets it play.  You can stream music (and photos) direct from your iPad / iPhone, which would be more of a strain but, in the iPad’s case, the battery life is great.

Twonky is nice but, unless I’m missing something, all it does is organise and stream your stored music, photos and videos.  It does so very well but I’m not aware of it being able to pull and share content from the internet.

thanks for the info.

I did go ahead and installed the twanky on my linux machine (30 days eval).

It does send video and radio content to the WD, and not so bad actually. I am living outside of the US so the video content is limited (works but not so much content) but the shoucast radio works great.

Next I’d give the playon a try as well as the  wild media server.

Since I’m using linux, those are not naturally supported… 

Will report back, feel free to comment on any other media servers you tried and liked.

try this one – 

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/

intended for PS3 but works with WDTV live, also provides youtube, on the fly trascoding , shoutcast.

solid and good.

so far the best one I’ve tested.