Help! Win shares on a different subnet?

Thanks, but that doesn’t really help? Anyway, my set up is the following - Ground flor: Entry point, Router 1, NAT/Firewall/Wi-Fi 1, 3 servers, TV, WDC box, then wire to 2nd floor → Wi-Fi router 2/NAT/Firewall and the media server. It’s very similar to this diagram:

http://nbfw.sourceforge.net/background.html

I very much disagree this is a niche set-up. Apart from the security benefit of two-layer isolation all you need for this (share the same net connection/wifi in a two story house) are two wi-fi routers, which by default results in 2-layered NAT (I can’t use the wi-fi on my 2nd floor DLINK DIR-655 if I just use it as a switch).

WINS is obsolete but still needed for NetBIOS traversal, ESPECIALLY with products which fail to support UNC addressing (looking at a particular product intently). Looking at the number of ‘it won’t see my shares topics here’  I think there’s a clear business need for UNC addressing support on these grounds alone.

Oh, and the WDC documentation nowhere says the box only supports same subnet shares.

I’ll to hack my way around by editing the lmhosts file on the Windows machine on NAT2, but if that fails I’m all out of ideas. Help?