Enable Network Shares on WD TV Live & Windows 7 & Vista 32-bit & 64-bit

mystiky wrote:

Fantastic video!  Thank you!  The information there helps for the folks who are having problems with understand this whol business about “shared”.

One quick question, I made my “WD Live” directory (instead of  Tutorial.  How come do I also see the USERS folder listed there?  I never turned it on to be shared and in my PC setup, I only have one user, without any password login.

It’s not a big deal, but wondering why  my WD TV Live has access to that folder (and it’s contents) besides the one created specifically via your suggested ways.

I’m happy it worked for you.  Love hearing about success stories.  To answer your question about why you see the USERS folder;  you have Password Protected Sharing turned off per my guide.  WIth that setting turned off you have something of a Windows Simple File Sharing going on. 

Try the following:
First, un-share the Users folder:

1. Open the C: disk.
  2. Right-click the Users folder.
  3. Click Properties (not Share).
  4. Click Sharing.
  5. Click Advanced Sharing.
  6. Un-check “Share this folder”.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Click Close.

Then, share the desired desktop folder:

1. Right-click the folder.
  2. Click Properties (not Share).
  3. Click Sharing.
  4. Click Advanced Sharing.
  5. Check “Share this folder”.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click Close.

Thanks to Steve Winograd, MS-MVP for this solution.  Googling save us time :slight_smile:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/149437-when-i-share-desktop-folder-c-users-all-subfolders-sha.html