Desperate with Network Share on Win 7

So I got my WD TV Live three days ago and have since done my best to make the WDTV see my Win7 x64 network shares. I have added the Everyone user permissions, checked the that the computer is in a home network state, done and redone and joined a workgroup named workgroup and other names as well and so on. More or less done all the tips I have been able to find on the WEB. Disabled the my software firewall as well as the one in the CISCO EPC3825 router/modem I got.

What is curious here is that I have a dual boot system WinXP/Win7 and on WinXP boot everything works like a charm.

But on Win 7 WDTV can’t see my shares, it won’t display the entire computer when I press enter on the Network shares icon under videos, nothing happens. Still Win7 sees a device WDTVLIVE on the network but not the USB drive attached to it.

On XP both work, I can transfer files from the win xp to the usb, and I’m able to see the shared folders on the computer.

Any help and tips that I have not heard of yet greatly appriciated!

EDIT: OH and youtube works with no problems as well. So it’s connected alright.

Henry

Just to make sure, on the Win 7 box, confirm in your HOME profile that:

Network Discovery is turned ON.

File and Printer Sharing is turned ON.

Password Protected Sharing is turned OFF.

If that doesn’t address the problem, then follow these steps:

issue the command 

net view

in a CMD window.

You will be given a list of discovered devices that are sharing.

for each of the names, issue the command

nbtstat -a (name)

such as  nbtstat -a mypc

Post the output of ALL of those commands here.

OKay tried that but net view command results in: “There are no entries in the list” ???

Yet I still see the WDTVLIVE device listed in the network in explorer.

I’m guessing you’re seeing it as MEDIA DEVICE, not a COMPUTER?

If so, that just means the DLNA protocol is working.  

If you get no devices in the list, then for some reason, network discovery isn’t working on your PC.

If it were a problem on the Cisco box, it’d affect both your XP and Win7 images, but since XP is working, you can rule that out.

Any clues on what I could try next??

You made sure that Windows ID assistant was NOT installed on that Win 7 machine?  (Go to “remove programs” to see).

Just disentailed Windows Live ID assistant but no changes. so, I’ve tried with my work laptop running Xp pro and it works perfectly, using normal network sharing (no multimedia sharing) still wi same wifi router and all the rest. with my home desktop pc running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit it does not work anyway. in the beginning sometimes it worked using multimedia sharing, but it worked for few time and us to stop and simply disappear from the Wdtv menu. The only thing I noticed between and Windows 7 is that in xp the Wdtlive appears as a network pc (and in fact I can even see USB key connected using my laptop) , instead in the not-working pc (windows 7) the Wdtlive resource appears Always in the multimedia devices, NOT as a network pc … I can enable or disable multimedia sharing (keeping file sharing enabled) but nothingnchanges, my Wdtlive does not see the pc… Please help

Denis, this is usually caused by a malfunctioning Master Browser.

On one of your PCs, open up a “Command” window.

(In Win Vista and Win7, click the Orb, and in the search box, type CMD. an icon will appear above the box that says cmd.exe. Click it, and a Command window will open.)

In the command window, enter the command “net view,” like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tony>net view
Server Name Remark

\BIGNAS1 Big Freakin’ NAS Server 1
\MARS
\NEPTUNE
\WDTVLIVE WDTV LIVE
The command completed successfully.

In my example, there are four active devices that Windows has discovered.

Now, for EACH of those, issue the command “nbtstat -a (name)” for example:

C:\Users\Tony>nbtstat -a bignas1

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.157] Scope Id:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status

BIGNAS1 <00> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <03> UNIQUE Registered
BIGNAS1 <20> UNIQUE Registered
…__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
…

So, we got lucky here, the FIRST system, BIGNAS1, indicates that it is the master browser, since it lists the name …__MSBROWSE__.

You need to find out WHICH system is your master browser. If none of these steps work as described, then the issue is likely on your PC itself, and that will require substantial additional troubleshooting.

Hello, there is a clip on YouTube. The man is saying that NETWERK is not possible ! With W 7, He is saying that some maps are showing{ what I do not know, see clip } And that He has aks Western too put soon a Update out that all can run under W 7, and especially the Netwerk !

We have no idea what you’re talking about since you didn’t post the link to the clip, but my guess is this person is referring to Windows 7 with the Microsoft Live packages installed.

It’s possible to fix this issue:  UNINSTALL THOSE PRODUCTS.  

I have no problems at all accessing my Win7 shares.

And we should also point out that simply uninstalling does not always fix the issue (the only real fix then is to roll back the system to before Win Live ID Assistant was installed in the first place).

Like Tony, my Win 7 shares work fine (but I don’t have Win Assistant installed and I’ve turned off auto updates so MS can’t force it on me).

Hello Tony and Others,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

This is the Clip, where the man is saying. Netwerk is not going on W 7 ! So I have it now on my old pc with XP. I would like the WD Player on my new pc with W 7, but when the Netwerk is not working then. So if you or someone else, can say how too install it under W 7 ? I saw this coincendence, I do not get a mail from it.

Hi … my problem is that having done and rechecked everything, in cmd.exe if I struggle a netview command I have the message saying there’s nothing in the list!!

Please help

… also, having set everything in nework advanced config, I still receive a windows error sayin something like “not able to share the directory”…

What’s that ???

Windmill wrote:

Hello Tony and Others,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

This is the Clip, where the man is saying. Netwerk is not going on W 7 ! So I have it now on my old pc with XP. I would like the WD Player on my new pc with W 7, but when the Netwerk is not working then. So if you or someone else, can say how too install it under W 7 ? I saw this coincendence, I do not get a mail from it.

I scanned through that video, but I’m not going to spend 20 minutes watching the whole thing…   At what TIME INDEX does he say that it doesn’t work with Windows 7??

There is NOTHING magical you have to do to get it to work with Windows 7, as long as you’re not using the Windows Live products.

Hello Tony,

The Man says it almost at the end and very short. He is saying something about, not working with W 7 the Netwerkmaps, but only maps, so not the Netwerk. Also He says, that Western would come with a Update for that. I like too know what You mean with not using any WD Live, I have the WDTV Live Media Player.

Read exactly what he says: “…not using the Windows Live products”. Windows Live Essentials 2011! He says nothing about WD Live.

Ok, I heard what he said, and given that the video is almost 1 year old, it should be taken with precaution, especially because something else he said is just completely incorrect.

“We did have some issues setting up a network stream or file sharing over Windows 7 because it seems like every media player we test has issues with windows 7 because of the architecture for the networking.  So, we’re going to have to wait and see if Western Digital comes out  with an update but the solution we found on the WDTV Community Website is that you can set up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP option in Windows 7 and that worked just fine.”

What’s wrong is he suggests setting up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP Option in Windows 7.   You can’t do that.   There’s no such thing.   Homegroups and Media Servers are two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other.   Homegroups do NOT work on the WDTV and probably never will, because that’s Microsoft Proprietary.  But it’s not needed anyway, so it doesn’t matter.   But the issue is, the fact that he suggested it makes me think he has a poor understanding of networking, thus making his entire conclusion suspect.

There WERE some problems with Windows 7 Play-To-WDTV functionality that were fixed in later firmware, but that’s not anything to do with network sharing.

As far as I know, the ONLY issue that affects Network Sharing for Win7 is the Live products being installed, and that was not very common when this video was created.

There are OTHER issues that can cause sharing to not work correctly (most notably a misconfigured system or other device acting poorly as a Master Browser) but those can (and do) affect almost ANY system, not just Windows 7.

So, in short, I really have no idea what he’s talking about because I have two separate Windows Shares coming from my Win7-64bit box that work perfectly well, and always have (except when I inadvertently installed Live Sign-In Assistant).

So, in the end, having Windows 7 64bit , which is the only way to make things working ? I’ve tried disabling media sharing and still nothing. I have the home group preferences set, workgroup name in my case iis MSHOME and I set the same on my WDTV live player… But nothing? I do the net vie cmd and I receive a Message that there is nothing to list, network is enabled and correctly set, registry checked … But nothing. Also, I take a directory and if I try to share I receive a message saying it is impossible to share the directory, but at the same time is and appears shared like mypcname\pictures and so on… Have to uninstall Live Mail maybe ?? Live ID assistant is uninstalled, still having Live Mail and other 2 programs of the live essential (vdvd creator and the other one…). Please help Cheers Denis

So far, it seems like all the errors are occurring on your PC, not the WDTV.   

what happens if you type the command

nbtstat -a

example:

nbtstat -a neptune1