Desperate with Network Share on Win 7

… also, having set everything in nework advanced config, I still receive a windows error sayin something like “not able to share the directory”…

What’s that ???

Windmill wrote:

Hello Tony and Others,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

This is the Clip, where the man is saying. Netwerk is not going on W 7 ! So I have it now on my old pc with XP. I would like the WD Player on my new pc with W 7, but when the Netwerk is not working then. So if you or someone else, can say how too install it under W 7 ? I saw this coincendence, I do not get a mail from it.

I scanned through that video, but I’m not going to spend 20 minutes watching the whole thing…   At what TIME INDEX does he say that it doesn’t work with Windows 7??

There is NOTHING magical you have to do to get it to work with Windows 7, as long as you’re not using the Windows Live products.

Hello Tony,

The Man says it almost at the end and very short. He is saying something about, not working with W 7 the Netwerkmaps, but only maps, so not the Netwerk. Also He says, that Western would come with a Update for that. I like too know what You mean with not using any WD Live, I have the WDTV Live Media Player.

Read exactly what he says: “…not using the Windows Live products”. Windows Live Essentials 2011! He says nothing about WD Live.

Ok, I heard what he said, and given that the video is almost 1 year old, it should be taken with precaution, especially because something else he said is just completely incorrect.

“We did have some issues setting up a network stream or file sharing over Windows 7 because it seems like every media player we test has issues with windows 7 because of the architecture for the networking.  So, we’re going to have to wait and see if Western Digital comes out  with an update but the solution we found on the WDTV Community Website is that you can set up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP option in Windows 7 and that worked just fine.”

What’s wrong is he suggests setting up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP Option in Windows 7.   You can’t do that.   There’s no such thing.   Homegroups and Media Servers are two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other.   Homegroups do NOT work on the WDTV and probably never will, because that’s Microsoft Proprietary.  But it’s not needed anyway, so it doesn’t matter.   But the issue is, the fact that he suggested it makes me think he has a poor understanding of networking, thus making his entire conclusion suspect.

There WERE some problems with Windows 7 Play-To-WDTV functionality that were fixed in later firmware, but that’s not anything to do with network sharing.

As far as I know, the ONLY issue that affects Network Sharing for Win7 is the Live products being installed, and that was not very common when this video was created.

There are OTHER issues that can cause sharing to not work correctly (most notably a misconfigured system or other device acting poorly as a Master Browser) but those can (and do) affect almost ANY system, not just Windows 7.

So, in short, I really have no idea what he’s talking about because I have two separate Windows Shares coming from my Win7-64bit box that work perfectly well, and always have (except when I inadvertently installed Live Sign-In Assistant).

So, in the end, having Windows 7 64bit , which is the only way to make things working ? I’ve tried disabling media sharing and still nothing. I have the home group preferences set, workgroup name in my case iis MSHOME and I set the same on my WDTV live player… But nothing? I do the net vie cmd and I receive a Message that there is nothing to list, network is enabled and correctly set, registry checked … But nothing. Also, I take a directory and if I try to share I receive a message saying it is impossible to share the directory, but at the same time is and appears shared like mypcname\pictures and so on… Have to uninstall Live Mail maybe ?? Live ID assistant is uninstalled, still having Live Mail and other 2 programs of the live essential (vdvd creator and the other one…). Please help Cheers Denis

So far, it seems like all the errors are occurring on your PC, not the WDTV.   

what happens if you type the command

nbtstat -a

example:

nbtstat -a neptune1

Okay Tony, stranghe that it is allowed that such a clip is there then ! Are You from Western ? If I understand you, I can install the WDTV Live MediaPlayer on my W 7 ?! Can You please tell me what steps I must take, or maybe it’s already on the site here ? Then I go and install it, then now I do all on my old{slow}PC it works, but my new one goes 5 times faster. Thanks for all your answers, take care !

Okay Tony, stranghe that it is allowed that such a clip is there then

YouTube allows anyone to post almost anything.

No, I’m not from Western.

You don’t have to “install” anything on a windows computer to get it to share files.  That functionality is there by default on most versions of Windows.

The only things requrired to share files on a Windows 7 box are:

(in the Advanced Sharing Settings)

– Turn ON Network Discovery

– Turn ON File & Printer Sharing

– Turn OFF Password Protected Sharing.

In the SHARING settings for a folder, set the folder as shared with the user EVERYONE.

Voila.   Shares work.

1 Like

You don’t have to “install” anything on a windows computer to get it to share files.  That functionality is there by default on most versions of Windows.

Tony…You are absolute great :smileyvery-happy:

Then I tryed it ride away, also because all your messages are so knowledge full, but you can make a mistake also off course. I am very carefull with my new PC so I make the changes under my shaking fingers :wink:

The only thing was, that W 7, aks a lot about sharing the folders, so I went for your users Everyone. Then I saw on the WDLIVE not all the folders. So back and try again the folders. There even came a password, but I have write it down, but set it off, like you have set. So now after started the PC off/on { and making a cross that the PC worked } It did, and I fast go too the WDLIVE and there where lots off new things :smiley: Sometimes I must find in other folders in the WDLIVE, then the name in the PC, but that is a smaller detail. So I thank you again, very much Tony ! Take care and greetings from Holland…that YouTube clip is a lot off ■■■■ then. Then this WDLIVE is working under W 7 !!! Maybe the install from WDLIVE in W 7, it goes wrong ?

I’m glad you got it working.   :slight_smile:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’m glad you got it working.   :slight_smile:

Well I am very very glad :smileyvery-happy: Tony ! Thanks again ! Then my new pc with W 7, has a very large hdd 1 TB, and I think that I put all my music on there. I have 600 cd’s, and that must go on 1 Tb or not ? Maybe You know this one too? I have seen in MDLIVE a screen with .com on it, cannot find that anymore and what does the .com ? Can I search for a site then ? By my Photo’s, can I set it autom. as a slideshow ? Now I must go, with every new map, too options, playmode. If I may ask Tony, why do you have 2/3 WDLIVE, in other rooms or so ? I have consider already too bye another, then when this is old or broke, I cannot do without it already :dizzy_face: I would like from all things a double, also from my Woman :wink: But She says…there is not one in the whole World too find :womanwink:

So many questions, and I’m not sure I understand all of them, but I’ll try:

600 CD’s in WAV (uncompressed format) will fit on a 1TB drive with room to spare.

600 * 700Mbytes = 420 Gbytes.

I have seen in MDLIVE a screen with .com on it, cannot find that anymore and what does the .com ? Can I search for a site then ?

I don’t understand this question.

If you want a slideshow to start every time you turn the WDTV Live on, then put your Photos in the ROOT of the attached HD, and turn AUTOPLAY ON.

Don’t put anything else in the root (other than folders) or the slideshow will stop.

I have a WDTV Live+ in the Master Bedroom, a WDTV Live in the Family Room, and a WDTV Live in the kids’ room.

I have seen in MDLIVE a screen with .com on it, cannot find that anymore and what does the .com ? Can I search for a site then ?I don’t understand this question.

There was a screen, and on the bottum there where a few things, included right a line with .com. But Tony, when it’s too much work, leave it. Then I have many questions about Pc’s :wink:

If you want a slideshow to start every time you turn the WDTV Live on, then put your Photos in the ROOT of the attached HD, and turn AUTOPLAY ON.

I have no HD in the WDTV Live, only on my PC. Is then this possible ? And where is the ROOT and AUTOPLAY ON ?

I only see, shuffle, shuffle all, random. normal.

My PC have just set 12 Updates from MCS about sharing MediaPlayer and Netwerk, this sad, If I set it up with a Admin.

acoount is would be saver, but I am the only one on the PC and when I set a Admin, maybe WDTV Live does not work

anymore.

I have a WDTV Live+ in the Master Bedroom, a WDTV Live in the Family Room, and a WDTV Live in the kids’ room.

Okay, very good Tony. So all the Family have fun with it too :wink: I did not know there was a + also. I will look what that is. Thanks again for all your efforts ! Take Care and Greetings from Holland

The main functional difference between a “Live” and a “Live Plus”, is that the Live Plus has the necessary modifications to connect to the NetFlix service in the U.S… so the Live Plus is only sold in North America, as far as I know.

I only get it to work randomly. Some days i see my shares and some days i dont.

I have tried about everything i read on theese forums.

I submitted a ticket and got an auto link response.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_cats=&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_search_text=3787&p_new_search=1

It says group should be set to “Work”

This is what i get with ntbstat. Dunno why i see JOHAN-DATOR twice.

C:\Users\Johan>nbtstat -a JOHAN-DATOR

Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:

Nod-IP-adress: [94.255.214.91] Scope-ID:

NetBIOS-namntabell för fjärrdator

Namn               Typ          Status

---------------------------------------------

JOHAN-DATOR    <00>  UNIK        Registrerad

WORKGROUP      <00>  GRUPP       Registrerad

JOHAN-DATOR    <20>  UNIK        Registrerad

WORKGROUP      <1E>  GRUPP       Registrerad

WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIK        Registrerad

…__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GRUPP       Registrerad

MAC-adress = E0-CB-4E-4E-35-EE

Bluetooth-nätverksanslutning:

Nod-IP-adress: [0.0.0.0] Scope-ID:

Det gick inte att hitta värddatorn.

C:\Users\Johan>

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.
C:\Users\Johan>nbstat -a JOHAN-DATORnbstat är inte ett internt kommando, externt kommando,program eller kommandofil.
C:\Users\Johan>nbtstat -a JOHAN-DATOR
Anslutning till lokalt nätverk:Nod-IP-adress: [94.255.214.91] Scope-ID:
           NetBIOS-namntabell för fjärrdator
       Namn               Typ          Status    ---------------------------------------------    JOHAN-DATOR    <00>  UNIK        Registrerad    WORKGROUP      <00>  GRUPP       Registrerad    JOHAN-DATOR    <20>  UNIK        Registrerad    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GRUPP       Registrerad    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIK        Registrerad    …__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GRUPP       Registrerad
    MAC-adress = E0-CB-4E-4E-35-EE

Bluetooth-nätverksanslutning:Nod-IP-adress: [0.0.0.0] Scope-ID:
    Det gick inte att hitta värddatorn.
C:\Users\Johan>

Demer,that’s actually very normal output… 

You see the workgroup mentioned THREE times, and the node-name listed TWICE.   That’s normal.

Seems its Msn thats causing it… just have to have it completely turned off and restart WD

I hope someone can help me to solve the problem: my WD Live can see my PC (W7 Pro, x64) on both DLNA and Network Share and streams files under DLNA smoothly. But when I want access via Network Share, it always ask me for username and password. But I already did everything including setting sharing rules, turning off firewall, adding Everyone permission…and all my other PC on the same network can see it and access without any password … so does anyone has the same situation?

If you have Windows Live Essentials 2011 or Windows Live Sign-In Assistant installed, it’s not going to work.