Desperate with Network Share on Win 7

Ok, I heard what he said, and given that the video is almost 1 year old, it should be taken with precaution, especially because something else he said is just completely incorrect.

“We did have some issues setting up a network stream or file sharing over Windows 7 because it seems like every media player we test has issues with windows 7 because of the architecture for the networking.  So, we’re going to have to wait and see if Western Digital comes out  with an update but the solution we found on the WDTV Community Website is that you can set up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP option in Windows 7 and that worked just fine.”

What’s wrong is he suggests setting up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP Option in Windows 7.   You can’t do that.   There’s no such thing.   Homegroups and Media Servers are two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other.   Homegroups do NOT work on the WDTV and probably never will, because that’s Microsoft Proprietary.  But it’s not needed anyway, so it doesn’t matter.   But the issue is, the fact that he suggested it makes me think he has a poor understanding of networking, thus making his entire conclusion suspect.

There WERE some problems with Windows 7 Play-To-WDTV functionality that were fixed in later firmware, but that’s not anything to do with network sharing.

As far as I know, the ONLY issue that affects Network Sharing for Win7 is the Live products being installed, and that was not very common when this video was created.

There are OTHER issues that can cause sharing to not work correctly (most notably a misconfigured system or other device acting poorly as a Master Browser) but those can (and do) affect almost ANY system, not just Windows 7.

So, in short, I really have no idea what he’s talking about because I have two separate Windows Shares coming from my Win7-64bit box that work perfectly well, and always have (except when I inadvertently installed Live Sign-In Assistant).