Honored Contributor
mkelley

Re: Desperate with Network Share on Win 7

And we should also point out that simply uninstalling does not always fix the issue (the only real fix then is to roll back the system to before Win Live ID Assistant was installed in the first place).

Like Tony, my Win 7 shares work fine (but I don't have Win Assistant installed and I've turned off auto updates so MS can't force it on me).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Advisor
Windmill

Hello Tony and Others,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

This is the Clip, where the man is saying. Netwerk is not going on W 7 ! So I have it now on my old pc with XP. I would like the WD Player on my new pc with W 7, but when the Netwerk is not working then. So if you or someone else, can say how too install it under W 7 ? I saw this coincendence, I do not get a mail from it.

Occasional Advisor
DenisFerrari

Hi ... my problem is that having done and rechecked everything, in cmd.exe if I struggle a netview command I have the message saying there's nothing in the list!!

Please help

Occasional Advisor
DenisFerrari

... also, having set everything in nework advanced config, I still receive a windows error sayin something like "not able to share the directory"...

What's that ???

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Windmill wrote:

Hello Tony and Others,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahAkLPlH0U

This is the Clip, where the man is saying. Netwerk is not going on W 7 ! So I have it now on my old pc with XP. I would like the WD Player on my new pc with W 7, but when the Netwerk is not working then. So if you or someone else, can say how too install it under W 7 ? I saw this coincendence, I do not get a mail from it.

I scanned through that video, but I'm not going to spend 20 minutes watching the whole thing...   At what TIME INDEX does he say that it doesn't work with Windows 7??

There is NOTHING magical you have to do to get it to work with Windows 7, as long as you're not using the Windows Live products.

===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Advisor
Windmill

Hello Tony,

The Man says it almost at the end and very short. He is saying something about, not working with W 7 the Netwerkmaps, but only maps, so not the Netwerk. Also He says, that Western would come with a Update for that. I like too know what You mean with not using any WD Live, I have the WDTV Live Media Player.

Occasional Visitor
frank-c

Read exactly what he says: "...not using the Windows Live products". Windows Live Essentials 2011! He says nothing about WD Live.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

[ Edited ]

Ok, I heard what he said, and given that the video is almost 1 year old, it should be taken with precaution, especially because something else he said is just completely incorrect.

"We did have some issues setting up a network stream or file sharing over Windows 7 because it seems like every media player we test has issues with windows 7 because of the architecture for the networking.  So, we're going to have to wait and see if Western Digital comes out  with an update but the solution we found on the WDTV Community Website is that you can set up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP option in Windows 7 and that worked just fine."

What's wrong is he suggests setting up a Media Server using the HOMEGROUP Option in Windows 7.   You can't do that.   There's no such thing.   Homegroups and Media Servers are two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other.   Homegroups do NOT work on the WDTV and probably never will, because that's Microsoft Proprietary.  But it's not needed anyway, so it doesn't matter.   But the issue is, the fact that he suggested it makes me think he has a poor understanding of networking, thus making his entire conclusion suspect.

There WERE some problems with Windows 7 Play-To-WDTV functionality that were fixed in later firmware, but that's not anything to do with network sharing.

As far as I know, the ONLY issue that affects Network Sharing for Win7 is the Live products being installed, and that was not very common when this video was created.

There are OTHER issues that can cause sharing to not work correctly (most notably a misconfigured system or other device acting poorly as a Master Browser) but those can (and do) affect almost ANY system, not just Windows 7.

So, in short, I really have no idea what he's talking about because I have two separate Windows Shares coming from my Win7-64bit box that work perfectly well, and always have (except when I inadvertently installed Live Sign-In Assistant).

Occasional Advisor
DenisFerrari

So, in the end, having Windows 7 64bit , which is the only way to make things working ? I've tried disabling media sharing and still nothing. I have the home group preferences set, workgroup name in my case iis MSHOME and I set the same on my WDTV live player... But nothing? I do the net vie cmd and I receive a Message that there is nothing to list, network is enabled and correctly set, registry checked ... But nothing. Also, I take a directory and if I try to share I receive a message saying it is impossible to share the directory, but at the same time is and appears shared like mypcname\pictures and so on... Have to uninstall Live Mail maybe ?? Live ID assistant is uninstalled, still having Live Mail and other 2 programs of the live essential (vdvd creator and the other one...). Please help Cheers Denis
Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

So far, it seems like all the errors are occurring on your PC, not the WDTV.   

what happens if you type the command

nbtstat -a <name of your pc>

example:

nbtstat -a neptune1

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD