ASUS USB-N13 does not work, please help

I just bought the asus usb-n13 and tried it on wdtv live (latest 1.04.22 firmware).

Doesn’t work.

I followed the steps in http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail…c/130/p/208,299

After plug in, i see the the options for wired and wireless :-

I chose wireless, detected my SSID, tried automatic settings but got error, so I manually configured the ip / subnet / gateway / dns (sample screen below) :-

On the above screen, my SSID name somehow keep disappearing and appearing (blinking) and signal strength goes up/down … does anyone have this issue? Or is the SSID always showing on screen (fixed)?

I tried CHECK CONNECTION … always fail the DNS step.

Not sure which problem … wdtv or my usb wifi or my pc router (this needs to be compatible as well?) .

On WDTV list, it’s mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it’s mentioned driver version was 1.4.6.0

I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

Can anyone that has a working N13 check their driver version from a notebook / pc? Is it same as mine 1.4.6.0 ? Or is version 1.10 not related to firmware, where can I check version?

What type of security are you using?

On my pc with the router, I’m just using the free AVG and Adaware softwares … with basic Windows XP firewall.

I’ve tried the N13 on notebook, no problem connecting to the pc and wifi. No problems with other gadgets connecting to wifi eg. mobilephone, tablet, etc…

No, what kind of WIRELESS security are you using?   WEP / WPA / WPA2?

I’m using a ASUS USB-N13 on my Live Plus with no problems, though i’m using  firmware 1.04.10_B.

I haven’t upgraded my unit to 1.04.22_B, so i don’t know if there’s a problem with the latest firmware or not.

I certainly don’t have a problem with up/down signal strength …i’ve had zero problems with streaming

…how far away is your router from the unit ?

On WDTV list, it’s mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it’s mentioned driver version was

1.4.6.0 I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

No, no …1.10 is the hardware version of the N-13, …“1.4.6.0” is a windows driver and is not related in anyway. Don’t try to

do any sort of comparison this way.  The Live Plus unit has it’s own software/driver for the N-13 and is made to work with

hardware version 1.10.  When i bought my N-13, i could not find the version on the package or on the N-13 itself, i just

took a chance and it worked.

I’m using WPA-PSK TKP> > > * * *
TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, what kind of WIRELESS security are you using?   WEP / WPA / WPA2?

I doubt the distance is a problem as I have connected from same distance with other devices eg. phone, tablet, notebooks. The router is on the next house level, the wdtv at the ground level living room.> > > > * * *

arrow201 wrote:

I’m using a ASUS USB-N13 on my Live Plus with no problems, though i’m using  firmware 1.04.10_B.

I haven’t upgraded my unit to 1.04.22_B, so i don’t know if there’s a problem with the latest firmware or not.

I certainly don’t have a problem with up/down signal strength …i’ve had zero problems with streaming

…how far away is your router from the unit ?

On WDTV list, it’s mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it’s mentioned driver version was

1.4.6.0 I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

No, no …1.10 is the hardware version of the N-13, …“1.4.6.0” is a windows driver and is not related in anyway. Don’t try to

do any sort of comparison this way.  The Live Plus unit has it’s own software/driver for the N-13 and is made to work with

hardware version 1.10.  When i bought my N-13, i could not find the version on the package or on the N-13 itself, i just

took a chance and it worked.

Just for giggles, try turning security OFF just for testing. See if the problem remains when security on the WiFi is disabled.

I did try turning off the pc router’s firewall previously, doesn’t work. Or are you saying to turn off PC security eg. AVG antivirus, lavasoft adaware, windows firewall ?

Anyway, here’s what I was trying to describe … my SSID goes on and off (hope you can see the animation) :-

I can confirm that the problem is the same for me (Asus USB N13 wireless stick). From time to time the wireless disconnects and the symptoms are as you describe. The only remedy is to completely unplug the WD. The router is WRT54GL. The security is WPA+AES with SSID not being broadcast.

laowai wrote:

I did try turning off the pc router’s firewall previously, doesn’t work. Or are you saying to turn off PC security eg. AVG antivirus, lavasoft adaware, windows firewall ?

He means turn off the WiFi security, just for a test.

I had the same problem (appearing/disappearing SID of wireless and unstable/slow connection). I was using some other brand’s wireless adaptor. However my router was asus rt-n13.  Updating the firmware of my Asus router to the latest beta version solved my problem. I believe it is a problem with asus wireless implementation. 

Not sure i follow. Did you have the dns problem too?

You solved the blinking SSID, by unplugging once and restarting … that’s it? Or occasional unplugging?

flooriin wrote:

I can confirm that the problem is the same for me (Asus USB N13 wireless stick). From time to time the wireless disconnects and the symptoms are as you describe. The only remedy is to completely unplug the WD. The router is WRT54GL. The security is WPA+AES with SSID not being broadcast.

Did you have the DNS check problem too? So does that mean i have to update the firmware on the ASUS adapter or my ZYXEL router? I’m really hoping someone who has an ASUS USB-N13 can chime in.

ShadedMelee wrote:

I had the same problem (appearing/disappearing SID of wireless and unstable/slow connection). I was using some other brand’s wireless adaptor. However my router was asus rt-n13.  Updating the firmware of my Asus router to the latest beta version solved my problem. I believe it is a problem with asus wireless implementation. 

Ok, i upgraded to 1.04.22_B this morning and so far i have no problems, though it maybe too early. But so far,

i’ve watched one .avi for ~40 min without a problem, i tried a few other avi’s, all ok. i then watched a  hi def .mkv

with dd 5.1 through my stereo …all through wireless, ASUS N13  …so far, all ok.

i’m using the LIve Plus, Asus USB-N13 (connected to the USB port on the back of the unit), my router is a Linksys

WRT54G v6.

I upgraded from 1.04.10_B so i don’t know how this affected the update …meaning, it had all my settings, including

network. The only thing i changed was the sound from “stereo” to passthrough so it would play through the stereo.

If i have problems i will report back to this thread

EDIT: forgot to add i just use simple security: WEP

arrow201, do you  mean the latest firmware solved your problem?

Previously which problem did you face? Similar to mine?

I too recently tried the new WDTV live firmware, problem still remains.

Are you able to identify the version/revision of your ASUS USB-N13?

do you  mean the latest firmware solved your problem?

Previously which problem did you face? Similar to mine?

No, i’ve never had a problem since purchasing the Live Plus…i bought the unit in Nov ( i think, …it was around that

time), i forget what version was initially on it, but everything, including the wireless, setup ok, then i think i had to

update twice until i got version to 1.04.10_B, which was the last one at the time.

When 1.04.17_B came out, many were saying wireless connectivety had disappeared, so i didn’t upgrade. I think

this was fixed in  1.04.18_B (?), but i didn’t bother. I updated to 1.04.22_B, really just to have the latest and read

a lot of problems were fixed …i guess i’m not hard core enough to notice all of the problems listed :P  …but the main

thing is, it works just as well as before. There’s a new internet radio addon which looks ok too…

But i mainly use it to watch .avi and .mkv, a few mp4 which was ok too …and the occassional YouTube

I watched 2 full movies tonight, one .avi and one .mkv through the wireless without a problem

Are you able to identify the version/revision of your ASUS USB-N13?

No, nothing on the packaging or on the N13 itself. i printed off the list of approved wireless USBs and went into the

store with that, though i read good reviews on the N13 before hand and it was my first choice. I just took a a chance

and it has worked perfectly for me since day one.

In my case, problem was my Asus router, and updating the firmware of router solved the problem However in your case, the problem is the Asus adapter. Unfortunately, wireless adapters does not have firmware, they are controlled by drivers, which resides in the WD Live firmware. So your best bet is to update the WD TV’s firmware, and if not resolved, open a support case to WD and request they update the driver for Asus Wireless adapter in the next firmware update.

I had exactly the same problem.  I had updated via the software from the CD, but when I went to http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1003&lang=en and updated to the latest firmware the ASUS USB-N13 worked perfectly (not surprising as I had read the release notes, the update for the adaptor was more recent than what I had installed).  Too bad my router only does G…  My N router is not 100% for DD-WRT and I’m scared to flash it. 

My only issue is that the WDTV Live software claims to check for the most recent update and, obviously, it does not come close.  The update was trivial and I’m very happy with the device.  I will have to try some of the mkv files that failed with the old firmware (and had to be converted with handbrake). 

Deep wellness is mine.

dcyspm