Advisor
laowai

ASUS USB-N13 does not work, please help

[ Edited ]

I just bought the asus usb-n13 and tried it on wdtv live (latest 1.04.22 firmware).

Doesn't work.

I followed the steps in http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail...c/130/p/208,299

After plug in, i see the the options for wired and wireless :-

I chose wireless, detected my SSID, tried automatic settings but got error, so I manually configured the ip / subnet / gateway / dns (sample screen below) :-

On the above screen, my SSID name somehow keep disappearing and appearing (blinking) and signal strength goes up/down ..... does anyone have this issue? Or is the SSID always showing on screen (fixed)?

I tried CHECK CONNECTION ..... always fail the DNS step.

Not sure which problem ... wdtv or my usb wifi or my pc router (this needs to be compatible as well?) .

On WDTV list, it's mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it's mentioned driver version was 1.4.6.0

I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

Can anyone that has a working N13 check their driver version from a notebook / pc? Is it same as mine 1.4.6.0 ? Or is version 1.10 not related to firmware, where can I check version?

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Re: ASUS USB-N13 does not work, please help

What type of security are you using?
===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Advisor
laowai

On my pc with the router, I'm just using the free AVG and Adaware softwares ... with basic Windows XP firewall.

I've tried the N13 on notebook, no problem connecting to the pc and wifi. No problems with other gadgets connecting to wifi eg. mobilephone, tablet, etc..

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

No, what kind of WIRELESS security are you using?   WEP / WPA / WPA2?

Advisor
arrow201

I'm using a ASUS USB-N13 on my Live Plus with no problems, though i'm using  firmware 1.04.10_B.

I haven't upgraded my unit to 1.04.22_B, so i don't know if there's a problem with the latest firmware or not.

I certainly don't have a problem with up/down signal strength ...i've had zero problems with streaming

....how far away is your router from the unit ?

> On WDTV list, it's mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it's mentioned driver version was

> 1.4.6.0 I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

No, no ....1.10 is the hardware version of the N-13, ..."1.4.6.0" is a windows driver and is not related in anyway. Don't try to

do any sort of comparison this way.  The Live Plus unit has it's own software/driver for the N-13 and is made to work with

hardware version 1.10.  When i bought my N-13, i could not find the version on the package or on the N-13 itself, i just

took a chance and it worked.

Advisor
laowai

I'm using WPA-PSK TKP

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, what kind of WIRELESS security are you using?   WEP / WPA / WPA2?

Advisor
laowai

I doubt the distance is a problem as I have connected from same distance with other devices eg. phone, tablet, notebooks. The router is on the next house level, the wdtv at the ground level living room.

arrow201 wrote:

I'm using a ASUS USB-N13 on my Live Plus with no problems, though i'm using  firmware 1.04.10_B.

I haven't upgraded my unit to 1.04.22_B, so i don't know if there's a problem with the latest firmware or not.

I certainly don't have a problem with up/down signal strength ...i've had zero problems with streaming

....how far away is your router from the unit ?

> On WDTV list, it's mentioned version is 1.10 but when I plug the N13 to my notebook, it's mentioned driver version was

> 1.4.6.0 I checked drivers on ASUS site but only have v1.4.6.0 and v.3.1.0.0.

No, no ....1.10 is the hardware version of the N-13, ..."1.4.6.0" is a windows driver and is not related in anyway. Don't try to

do any sort of comparison this way.  The Live Plus unit has it's own software/driver for the N-13 and is made to work with

hardware version 1.10.  When i bought my N-13, i could not find the version on the package or on the N-13 itself, i just

took a chance and it worked.

Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Just for giggles, try turning security OFF just for testing. See if the problem remains when security on the WiFi is disabled.
Advisor
laowai

[ Edited ]

I did try turning off the pc router's firewall previously, doesn't work. Or are you saying to turn off PC security eg. AVG antivirus, lavasoft adaware, windows firewall ?

Anyway, here's what I was trying to describe ... my SSID goes on and off (hope you can see the animation) :-

Occasional Visitor
flooriin

I can confirm that the problem is the same for me (Asus USB N13 wireless stick). From time to time the wireless disconnects and the symptoms are as you describe. The only remedy is to completely unplug the WD. The router is WRT54GL. The security is WPA+AES with SSID not being broadcast.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD