A Couple of Basic, Easy to Answer Questions

First, my Win 7 “Work” network icon is visible on the WD Player.  WD Player has connectivity to internet, all tests, data looks good. (WD player is connecting wirelessly).    When I try to access “Network Shares” , enter router username and password, then  get “the network share cannot be accessed.”  Does this screen mean I successfully accessed my network, but WD couldn’t see or access network shares?  Or does it mean the WD, although connected to the internet through my router, is not actually connected to my network at all?

Next, I gather than Windows 7 “media streaming” is incompatible with “network shares.”  Is this true?  Everyone seems to want to turn off media streaming in otder to get WD to work with Win 7.  What devices must be prohibited from media streaming?  PC’s, WD, both or ?  If “media streaming” is off on a PC, does that not mean there is no way to use “Play To” in WMP12?  WD made a BIG DEAL about being compatible with that feature.

I am sitting with a laptop about ten feet from the WD.  My laptop connects through my home network (wirelessly) and is visible at other PC’s.  When I select “Music” on the WD screen on the TV, then “media servers,” the WD will show my laptop’s media server.  It will not show the PC media server (must be related to problem logging into network)???  I can play the crummy three tunes the laptop came loaded with in its music library, but can’t get to my big storage on the PC where I do all the ripping, backup, etc.  If I have media streaming enabled, my laptop sees all that music as “other library” in WMP12, and I can play it through the laptop — but the WD doesn’t see it.

So I’m growing a little frustrated trying access “network shares.”  Every conceivable folder has been designated as “shared,” “everyone” has been added to the access, permissioms granted, etc. ad nauseum.

Some threads suggest after making any changes you need to reset, wait an hour, perhaps dance a jig, have done all that. 

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Have you looked at the FAQ

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135

Yes, I’ve looked at the FAQ.  That is why I am  posting here.

Curmudgeon10 wrote:

First, my Win 7 “Work” network icon is visible on the WD Player.  WD Player has connectivity to internet, all tests, data looks good. (WD player is connecting wirelessly).    When I try to access “Network Shares” , enter router username and password, then  get “the network share cannot be accessed.”  Does this screen mean I successfully accessed my network, but WD couldn’t see or access network shares?  Or does it mean the WD, although connected to the internet through my router, is not actually connected to my network at all?

Next, I gather than Windows 7 “media streaming” is incompatible with “network shares.”  Is this true?  Everyone seems to want to turn off media streaming in otder to get WD to work with Win 7.  What devices must be prohibited from media streaming?  PC’s, WD, both or ?  If “media streaming” is off on a PC, does that not mean there is no way to use “Play To” in WMP12?  WD made a BIG DEAL about being compatible with that feature.

I am sitting with a laptop about ten feet from the WD.  My laptop connects through my home network (wirelessly) and is visible at other PC’s.  When I select “Music” on the WD screen on the TV, then “media servers,” the WD will show my laptop’s media server.  It will not show the PC media server (must be related to problem logging into network)???  I can play the crummy three tunes the laptop came loaded with in its music library, but can’t get to my big storage on the PC where I do all the ripping, backup, etc.  If I have media streaming enabled, my laptop sees all that music as “other library” in WMP12, and I can play it through the laptop — but the WD doesn’t see it.

So I’m growing a little frustrated trying access “network shares.”  Every conceivable folder has been designated as “shared,” “everyone” has been added to the access, permissioms granted, etc. ad nauseum.

Some threads suggest after making any changes you need to reset, wait an hour, perhaps dance a jig, have done all that. 

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Why are you using your ROUTER’S user ID and password?   Is your ROUTER the device that is actually providing the media files?

“Media Servers” and “Network Shares” are NOT incompatible.  You can use them both;  they just operate in different ways.  There is NO REASON you must turn off Media Streaming to enable network shares.   Both of my Win7 machines do both simultaneously.

The WD Won’t see your “Media Streaming” content if you don’t configure the folder as a media source.

You need to open your Explorer window (not IE, but Windows Explorer) and find the folders that have your media.

Right Click them, select INCLUDE IN LIBRARY, and select Music, Pictures, or Video as appropriate.

You say that your Win 7 “Work” network is visible on the player, so I’m a bit confused as to what exactly is working and what is not.   Is it that your COMPUTER shows up, but when you select it, it gives you an error?   Or gives you nothing? 

Did you dance the CORRECT jig?   :wink:

Thanks.  I have not yet danced the correct jig, but I’ve decided most of my problems can be traced to my Windows 7 Home network, which is not sharing files.  That is a problem  for another forum.  I do appreciate your reply, and there’s no doubt in my mind I’ll probably be back (although hoping I won’t).