Youtube playlist: crash device when going to the next video

I own a WDTV Live HD media player (WDAAP0000NBK) + latest firmware 1.6.43 v .

I’m using Youtube Leanback.

My internet connection is 10 Mbit downstream / 1 Mbit upstream, good.

When I play a video playlist  the first video is played normally, but when the device try to play the second video crashes and restart!

This is problem is known by WD support since one year and they STILL don’t fix it. 

Should I dump my device? Some official statement about fixing the device?

Thanks

PS

apparently HD TV LIVE STREAMING Media Player had the same issue, but then WD released a fix

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

I wish the owners of the “old” WD TV LIVE media player would get the same attention of users of other models… 

dif1754 wrote:

I own a WDTV Live HD media player (WDAAP0000NBK) + latest firmware 1.6.43 v .

I’m using Youtube Leanback.

My internet connection is 10 Mbit downstream / 1 Mbit upstream, good.

When I play a video playlist  the first video is played normally, but when the device try to play the second video crashes and restart!

This is problem is known by WD support since one year and they STILL don’t fix it. 

Should I dump my device? Some official statement about fixing the device?

Thanks

PS

apparently HD TV LIVE STREAMING Media Player had the same issue, but then WD released a fix

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

I wish the owners of the “old” WD TV LIVE media player would get the same attention of users of other models… 

The original Live and Live Plus are legacy, AFAIK they won’t get any further updates so any pending problems won’t be fixed. Since It’ll soon be a year since the last update that should speak for itself.

If you’re still under warranty then call WD, but don’t hope for a fix. Otherwise move on.

yes, maybe it’s time to give up…

I guess my next device will be this 

http://www.engadget.com/products/roku/3/

apparently the best compared to other devices

http://www.engadget.com/reviews/digital-media-players/

Bye

I very much like my Roku, but I think you will find that it compliments a WD Device, not replaces one. It takes a lot of work to play local media on Roku using 3rd party tools, and is extremely restictive on the container format. A Roku for streaming most internet media and a WD box for local media is a very nice combo.

-P

1 Like

pearl wrote:

I very much like my Roku, but I think you will find that it compliments a WD Device, not replaces one. It takes a lot of work to play local media on Roku using 3rd party tools, and is extremely restictive on the container format. A Roku for streaming most internet media and a WD box for local media is a very nice combo.

-P

Or, just connect your Laptop to your TV.

I still find the existence of media players to be redundant and inferior. Sure, they’re small and shiny and look good, but at what cost? Reduced functionality? Playback issues? Lag? Limited services? Fixed codec support?

Is the “convenience” of having a small box really more transcending than not having the above issues? Anyway, to each their own.

thanks for your feedback about Roku.

Cristian

I agree with your analyses.

My WD device will not be fixed.

I also own a Toshiba blu ray player with Youtube Leanback and also that has a problem about sync between sound and video, but the playlist works perfectly. :frowning:

I don’t know, I’m scared to buy a smart tv with youtube leanback, some people have problems also there…

I wonder about a Raspberry PI with xbmc sw, maybe it’s an interesting mix between the flexibility of pc and the chance to keep it close to your tv set. And there’s also a nice community to keep the sw up to date…

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Cristian

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:> Or, just connect your Laptop to your TV.> I still find the existence of media players to be redundant and inferior. Sure, they’re small and shiny and look good, but at what cost? Reduced functionality? Playback issues? Lag? Limited services? Fixed codec support?

Is the “convenience” of having a small box really more transcending than not having the above issues? Anyway, to each their own.

Yes, I’ll take the convenience. I am currently writing this on my laptop and watching a video on my WD box / TV. The last thing I want to do is to bring the laptop over to the TV to connect it to that or my AVR, to watch the video and lose access to the Laptop. I guess I can run dual screens, and run a really long HDMI cable, but even then, a huge amount of resources on the laptop would be used to be running the video that I would prefer be available to me for whatever I am doing on the laptop. I want my media server, whatever it is to be dedicated to running media, and my laptop to be used for other things.

I could see your position if we are talking about a building a dedicated HTPC to handle my media, but that is a lot more expensive than a media player, and we are back at that redundancy thing again.

There are a few things I cannot do with any of my media players that do require a computer and an HDMI cable, but those are pretty sparse and don’t come up all that often.

Most people just want a box with a remote connected to their TV or AVR for the convenience of it, and are willing to sacrifice some things to get this. We have been trained essentially since birth to point a remote at a TV to watch what we want. 

As you said, each to their own…

-P

1 Like

The original Live and Live Plus are legacy, AFAIK they won’t get any further updates so any pending problems won’t be fixed. Since It’ll soon be a year since the last update that should speak for itself.

If you’re still under warranty then call WD, but don’t hope for a fix. Otherwise move on.

Same issue here. But I do not agree with the above stated fact.

Just because some junk developer could not code properly and lousy tester was in no mood to test, customers should not suffer.  Customers paid money for a product and are entitled for a working model. It is fine to have no further enhancements / add ons / whatever for a legacy model… BUT A BUG …  OH Please grow up!

This is a firmware fix… no hardware upgrade. Few hours of coding and testing should suffice. Or release the source code and let the more capable developers willing to work freely fix it for you.

What is ironical is WD know what the issue and how to fix it … but not working on it shows how much they care about their BRAND VALUE. If WD wants to show this face to customers … so be it.

1 Like

Seems like new year vacation is not over yet

MKH76 wrote:

Just because some junk developer could not code properly and lousy tester was in no mood to test, customers should not suffer.  Customers paid money for a product and are entitled for a working model. It is fine to have no further enhancements / add ons / whatever for a legacy model… BUT A BUG …  OH Please grow up!

So? Device support is provided while the device is supported by the company. Computers, phones, OS’s, media players, there are no exceptions. Updates and bug-fixing were done while the devices (Live and Live+) were supported. After support is dropped then that’s it. Expecting for any company to keep development for devices they have openly and officially abandoned is simply not rational. Otherwise bugs and problems carried all the way back from Windows 98 that are still not fixed should be grouds for a raid. Just replace “Windows 98” with any legacy electronic device or product or service and you’ll tell it applies to everything.

It doesn’t matter if the developer is junk or AAA since warranties expire, and so do support for devices as well.

You don’t like it? Then move on to another company, and then good luck finding one that keeps support for legacy devices as you imply they should. Then you’ll find that no company does, and you’ll move on again and again and again until you no longer buy electronic devices at all because of your self-entitled legacy support expectations.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

MKH76 wrote:

So? Device support is provided while the device is supported by the company. Computers, phones, OS’s, media players, there are no exceptions. Updates and bug-fixing were done while the devices (Live and Live+) were supported. After support is dropped then that’s it. Expecting for any company to keep development for devices they have openly and officially abandoned is simply not rational. Otherwise bugs and problems carried all the way back from Windows 98 that are still not fixed should be grouds for a raid. Just replace “Windows 98” with any legacy electronic device or product or service and you’ll tell it applies to everything.

It doesn’t matter if the developer is junk or AAA since warranties expire, and so do support for devices as well.

You don’t like it? Then move on to another company, and then good luck finding one that keeps support for legacy devices as you imply they should. Then you’ll find that no company does, and you’ll move on again and again and again until you no longer buy electronic devices at all because of your self-entitled legacy support expectations.

I really dont know … what to say when people start comparing apples with oranges - either they dont understand or they don’t want to.

Secondly I wonder why there is an obsession with Windows 95 / 98 on this forum.

Anyways 

1. I am 101 % sure, if in Win95/Win98, had MS known any such known widespread bug - even after the support ends - they would have fixed it and released the update. Reasons -

a) First and foremost they would have done bcoz they are MS … as simple as that.

b) Secondly … Dude… you are comparing a SW with a hardware box. So better go back and do your homework.

c) WD live is here is to stay with people who have bought it. I wonder how can you compare it with Windows  which you can ‘Upgrade’  and run on same hardware config you already have. 

1. None of the users reporting this particular issue is asking to any ‘enhancements’, new filetype support or addons.

a) No one is asking to do something rare / uncommon. 

b) No one is asking to support next gen media compression formats

c) They are simply saying "Hey WD.  You know the bug. You already fixed it  for a box with same base. So please release the fix for 2 earlier models as well. BECAUSE THE BUG IS RELATED TO A VERY POPULAR SERVICE USED BY MILLIONS OF USERS. 

Nothing is permanent but change. Today its WD, tomorrow may be Seagate, Samsung etc.  A consumer is not a charity case. Not sure if you ever heard - It is hard to get new customer than to maintain the existing one. I sure WD likes you suggesting people to move on to competitors.

For you. I suggest, STOP. Move on from Windows 95/98 - Its 2014 …we are with Windows 8.1. Also avoid comparing Windows with every consumer device - Ovens, Mixers, Juicers, Washing machine, Car… 

1 Like

I totally agree.

1 Like

Totally Agree ,

You release a bug . …You release software which destroy the existing one and now you are not in mood to fix that for OLD device where as you already got a fix for new one. …what a dirty trick to pull customer to new device,

Common …we are not lolly pop … if you can’t fix a bug for a old model which was new one day.  what is the guarentee that you will fix a bug for the current model  (which will be out date in a year)  in future??

Next Gen Customer of WD …wake up call …

update:  WD knows of this error for a YEAR AND A HALF and they still haven’t fixed it.  I have the WDBAAN0000NBK-00, for which a search on this site yields ZERO results.  YouTube Leanback doesn’t work properly on any WD HD Media unit.  from the sounds of it, the YouTube Leanback app is leaning WAAAAAAAY back!  perhaps, is WD working on a replacement app?  can we, the users of this device, at least get some sort of current update?!?!?!

pretty sure Sony still supports the PS3 and they’ve moved on to the PS4.