Wd tv live plus hd always changes audio video settings

on its own. I turn it off and it goes from 1080p/60 to 720p/50 and from 12 bit color to 8. it doesn’t matter if I unplug it or turn it off or whatever. its on a 60" sharp led that IS full hd. is there any way to keep this from happening? it’s so annoying. thanks for any help

I have the same issue. My Live Plus frequently powers up set at a resolution/frequency that my TV does not support. Even when I leave the box on all the time, it sometimes changes the colorspace from RGB Low to YCbCr, all by itself while just sitting there at the home screen.

The problem is that the WD box does not remember the video settings when powered off/on. There have been a lot of posts about this issue. I have been posting about this problem for over a year now. Hopefully, WD will fix the problem in the next firmware release.

Please report the problem to WD through their normal problem reporting (not just here on this forum) so that they will know how widespread the problem is and give it a priority to fix. (Although the last time someone reported it, WD tech support told them that the problem did not exist).

The problem of not remembering the video settings has been going on for as long as I have been on this board (over a year). There have been many posts about this issue. Here is a link to one of them. Note that on page 2 of this thread, BBBBBrandon (WD Staff) posted that “This should be resolved in the next release”. That would indicate that WD is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it.

Doesn’t remember video settings

As it turned out, the problem was not fixed in the next release (which is the current release). I am hoping that this issue will be fixed in the next firmware release.

EDIT: Please try a different HDMI cable. That sometimes fixes this problem. BTW, there are not any video sources that use 12 bit yet, so there is no advantage to setting 12 bit color. You should set it to 8 bit for now.

Scandy wrote:

BTW, there are not any video sources that use 12 bit yet, so there is no advantage to setting 12 bit color. You should set it to 8 bit for now.

Well, yes and no. :wink:  To my knowledge there’s still nothing available commercially as 12-bit, but there is some 10-bit anime around now.

But, the issue remains that the Sigma chip driving the WDTV can’t decode 10-bit streams (or 12-bit streams, were someone to produce one).

The 8655 and 8654 only have inputs for 8-bit YCbCr video (as far as I can see in Sigma’s documentation).

So yes, you can only feed the 8655 and 8654 8-bit streams.

It converts them internally into a 12-bit colour space, and processes the video in a full 12-bits, and can output in “12-bit”, but as you say, the picture isn’t any “better”.  There isn’t any extra colour… there’s still only 256 steps to each colour value.  It just takes the 8-bit values and multiplies them by 16 to move them into a 12-bit space.

So yes, there’s no advantage to setting the output to 12-bit for watching 8-bit encodes (and 10- and 12-bit encodes physically can _ not _ be watched at all).  If the box won’t “remember” a 12-bit setting (or it’s been disabled in some cases), you aren’t losing anything visually by sticking with 8-bit output.

Getting 12-bit “working” again would appear to be at the lowest priority, since it has no discernible effect on output.