Wd live mkv hang problem

After some research and a couple of hour try  i found that it is completely related to well known mkv header compression issue. I tried to muxe mkvs with mkvtoolnix-4.0.0 but it causes some synronization issue between audio and video. I will continue to search an exact solution until a proper firmware update.

If it is to do with the header compression then they should work with the latest firmware.

well I have 1.04.17  firmware but they don’t work. I tried remuxe with version 4.0.0 and 4.4.0 with no compression  options but it didn’t work as ı expected. There is really terrible sound synronization problem with remuxe. Any idea or any suggestion to find the problem will be really appreciated.

I noticed that I couldn’t watch any mkv from start to finish without problem. All mkv files hangs in some point. Also it doesn’t matter it is 720p or 1080p. I added a media info from one of my mkv files.

and another one it hangs in almost every minutes.

I can watch avi files without any trouble. Should I try by downgrading my firmware to previous one ?

or should i return my box :wink:

Some people have commented that network share speed has decreased in the newer firmwares, which increases the chance of stuttering when playing HD media.

How are you connecting to your media:  Wifi?  Network cable? Directly attached storage?

If via wifi or network cable, try putting one of the HD files onto a USB flash drive or external HDD, plugging it into the Live and playing it that way.  If it plays smoothly, you know it’s network speed at fault, not the files.

Something else to consider is a 3-stage reset: that’s a Factory reset, followed by resetting using the side button, then power cycling by pulling the plug for 10 mins.

The unit will reboot after the factory reset (Settings > System).  Once it reboots, then perform the side-button reset.  It’ll reboot.  Once it boots back up fully, pull the plug and wait.

Plug it back in and try playing the problematic media again.

I am using directly attached storage. As I said before i tried formatting drive but it doesn’t work either.

I will try 3-stage reset but I don’t get how it can be a solution or what it is good for.

I would try downgrading to 1.03.49. It helped a lot of us. If it doesn’t help at least you would eliminate firmware as the cause.

Can any one point me in the direction of that firmware… This seems to be a less than organized site for locating anything but the new FW release?

my thanks advance

Found it here in case anyone else is looking.  D’oh, this is 49 not 39… still looking…

Cheers.

I downgraded firmware to 1.03.49 . Doesn’t work. The only thing I didn’t try yet is 3-stage reset.

trout_finger wrote:

Found it here in case anyone else is looking.  D’oh, this is 49 not 39… still looking…

Cheers.

• *Who mentioned .39?

sedatcorbaci wrote:

I will try 3-stage reset but I don’t get how it can be a solution or what it is good for.

For whatever reason, sometimes features and fixes in new firmwares don’t always seem to function as expected unless a reset is done.

That should not be the case but unfortunately it is.  It seems more likely to happen when making major firmware jumps.

I almost never have any problems, certainly not the many weird random issues that often get posted.  However, I’ve installed every single firmware release, official and beta, so the changes have always been incremental.  I’ve done the 3-stage reset after almost every update.

Sorry if it seems like hocus-pocus but on the odd occasion where I didn’t reset and a feature didn’t work right, the reset fixed the problem.

I believe even WD is now recommending that users do this in their beta firmware readme.  They were reluctant to do so for a long time because, as you point out, it doesn’t make sense that this should affect anything.  Yet sometimes it does.

I though Scandy mentioned the 39… But interestng perspective there Pixel… I will try downgrading then the 3 finger salute as it were and see what falls out!  =>

Cheers

I tried 3stage reset but it doesn’t work either. Lastly i will try using another usb stick  if it is not the problem then i will return the box because i couldn’t watch any of my 720p or 1080p mkv files.

Just my experience and opinion not a solution I found that playing mkv files via “netshares” just doesn’t work…for me. Playing mkv files via WDTV-LiveHub media server to a WD-TV Live works great. I’ve even accessed the WD-TV Live Hub twonky server remotely and streamed mkv files, mkv streaming works just fine. I’ve been able to stream 1.4 GB mkv files from home to work and watch just fine using the twonky web-browser. I don’t know why the “netshare” experience is so different for 1.4GB avi files versus mkv files.

trout_finger wrote:

I though Scandy mentioned the 39… But interestng perspective there Pixel… I will try downgrading then the 3 finger salute as it were and see what falls out!  =>

Cheers

Just for the record…I think your eyes are playing tricks on you…If you look at the post at the top of this page you will see that I said version 1.03.49.

Ya Scandy it happens all the time as I age!  =>

Just to clarify, none of the solutions mentioned on here has worked to solve my MKV playing problems… resets, roll backs, nada.  I find it unacceptable that a company puts time into adding features when the base features do not work as advertised.  I feel bad since I spoke highly during my inital experiences of this POS and two friends bought them.  I am not doing anything fancy just trying to play movies off a portable 2.5 drive…  If there was a refund offered I would take it.

Just my two cents.