Wake server from lan with WD live plus help

hey all

i have a WD tv live hooked up wirelessly with (Rosewill RNX-N180UBE) USB adapter. I currently have a old Computer running windows XP set up to work as a media server or NAS for my external drive. I have it set up to go to sleep when not in use after a set amount of time. i enabled WOL and the computer wakes up i use my personal HTPC running XBMC (WD live plus is my fathers) but when i turn on the WD live plus, it wont wake the server from sleep.  is this becuase its running off wireless? I would think when i click network storage it would try to refresh the list and look for servers (which would set a package to the server to wake it)

lmk know how i can get this to work. as of right now, i downloaded a WOL app on my fathers phone so when he wants to use it he just uses that to wake the server.  i would like to have it work without having to use an app or manually going up to the server and waking it up.

thanks  

The WDTV’s do not support Wake-on-LAN.

Check the IDEAS LAB to see if anyone has posted such an idea, and if so, vote for it.   If not, post the idea.

My Live Plus will use WakeOnLan if the computer I have running Playon is off. I select the media server or a share on it, and it will turn the computer on.  I haven’t tried to see if it works when the computer is hibernating, but I thought it would. See if it works when the computer is turned off. Maybe the Live Plus can’t deal with hibernation mode?

You might be confusing something unrelated.

I’ve done enough packet-captures on these boxes to know that it’s not sending ANY form of WOL packets.

Even if it were, it would make no difference whether the PC was OFF, STANDBY, HIBERNATE, etc.    WOL is controlled by the PC, not the WOL initiator.

Perhaps so, but if I select a network share or something for a turned off computer, the Live Plus asks me if I want it to try starting it up (can’t remember the exact message right now), the computer then starts up. If it isn’t sending a WOL message, no idea how it is doing it.

…and you’re using stock WD firmware?

I just don’t see how it’d be possible.

For one thing, when the PC is shut down, it’s no longer going to send DOMAIN/WORKGROUP membership advertisments.   As such, the Master Browser will remove the computer from the list of active servers.

Within about 10 minutes, the WD’s won’t even be aware that such a computer even existed in the first place, because when it does a WORKGROUP query, that sleeping system will not be reported.

So the WD isn’t going to even know where to send a packet.

I’ll have to give this a try when I get home.

Running the latest stock firmware actually.  Not home right now, so I will have to wait before I can give more details/screenshots. It would be very easy to duplicate. Just shut down something you see the share/media server for on the WD TV Live and then select it. It will pop up a message about trying to start it up, and then (at least in my case), the PC starts right up.

Similar reasoning applies to UPNP.

If the computer running Playon is shutdown, Playon should broadcast that it is shutting down (BYE BYE broadcast). And even if Playon was unable to broadcast the shutdown (e.g. powerfail) then the WDTV Live broadcasts M-SEARCH messages to discover currently running mediaservers before it builds the list of available mediaservers.

So if the server is powered off it is not broadcasting the periodic NOTIFY messages (to let mediaplayers know it is alive) nor can it respond to an M-SEARCH broadcast. So the WDTV does not know anything about the server.

mu51c10rd wrote:

Running the latest stock firmware actually.  Not home right now, so I will have to wait before I can give more details/screenshots. It would be very easy to duplicate. Just shut down something you see the share/media server for on the WD TV Live and then select it. It will pop up a message about trying to start it up, and then (at least in my case), the PC starts right up.

Well I just did what you suggested with a mediaserver.

1. With mediaserver on, navigated on the WDTV Live Media servers>media_server_name and it showed the folder structure.

2. Backed out to the Media servers option in the WDTV Live.

3. Sutdown mediaserver

4. Selected Media servers in the WDTV Live menu and got no response as expected. No message.

i have my computer set up to go to stand by and i have the the NIC configured to wake by any network activitiy not just a “magic packet”    i thought if i have it set up like that, if the router receives a request to show avalible networks, it would boot up the computer. when i have my XBMC htpc and the server is asleep the computer boots up fine without a problem when i try to view my media. but maybe it does this cause you select the patch and save it. so when i go to play a movie the HTPC box is asking for that file that it knows where it is   where’s the WDTV box needs to just refesh the workgroups. 

so i guess i can understand why WDTV is not waking my computer up. i should test this when its wired and see what happens cause i could have sworn when i was messing with it hooked up with a Eithernet cord it woke the server.  

ill get back to you guys on this

Ok, I just tried it out. It does not work for the Media Servers (like Playon), only network shares, I was mistaken there. Try turning off your computer, navigate to network shares, and select the same turned off computer. It asks if you want the WD to try to turn it on, confirm, and it turns the computer on.

Well does not work for me. Repo steps-

1. From WDTV Live access network shares on a WinXP computer.

2. On WDTV Live back out to Network shares menu option

3. On WinXP computer, put it into Standby mode

4. On WDTV Live navigate to Network shares> WinXP computer, it is still in the browse list but-

5. Get message ‘The network share cannot be accessed’ when selecting that computer

More or less what I expected.