The last content source has been removed

Purchased the WD TV Live today and am receiving the message “the last content source has been removed” when trying to access media files on my WIndows 7 PC.  I have seen this problem posted a number of times but with no resolution.

Does anyone have a solution or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Anyone?

The most likely cause of that error is an unreliable network connection between your WD and your server.

Thank you for the response.  I will look into this but the network check / test function did give a positivie response.

R_G

Try a PING test.

On the same PC, open a CMD window and issue the command

ping -t [ip address of your WD]

Watch it when you try to connect the WD;  see if you get any “No response” errors.

Thanks.

The ping was successful, response time of <1ms with no packets lost.

I can also access the Hub from my PC as it is ‘seen’ as part of the network.

I think I have resolved this but I am not sure which change made it work but I will list them:

PC could see the hub but I installed TWONKY and I could then access it - i.e. see the sample pictures.  To install TWONKY I right clicked on the WDTVHUB in my computer and clieck install.  From memory I don’t believe that I could see the hub from the PC.

Powered off the hub (out of desparation).

Once back up went to FILES and received a messgae ‘network share cannot be accessed’.

Went to SETUP and changed the WORKGROUP to my local  PC HOMEGROUP name.

Back to FILES and NETWORK STORAGE and suddenly the media library is compliing. 

Interesting (or not) when in the FILES menue I have selected MEDIA STORAGE which saw my PC by gave the OP message.  However, when I made the above changes, the PC was under NETWORK STORAGE (or similar).

I am not sure whether this helps anyone else or whether I have made mutliple changes that just happened (to appear) to solve problem. 

Given that it has been 10 minutes with the COMIPLING MEDIA LIBRAY message I have a feeling that it may be to no avail, but I feel that I am one small step forward.

R_G

Reading that back, it did not make much sense so will try again (and hit spell check)

I think I have resolved this but I am not sure which change made it work but I will list them:

The PC could see the HIB but I installed TWONKY and then I could then access it - i.e. see the sample pictures etc.  To install TWONKY I right clicked on the WDTVHUB in my computer and clicked install.  From memory I don’t believe that I could see the HUB from the PC when I first tried to install the HIB yesterday.

Powered off the hub (out of desperation).

Once the HUB was powered up I went to FILES and received the message ‘network share cannot be accessed’.

I then went to SETUP and changed the WORKGROUP to my PC HOMEGROUP name.

I went back to FILES and and selected NETWORK STORAGE and suddenly the media library is compiling.

Interesting (or not) when in the FILES menu I had previously selected MEDIA STORAGE which did see my PC but after selecting it, gave the error message I originally posted.  However, when I made the above changes, the PC (name) was under NETWORK STORAGE (or similar).

I am not sure whether this helps anyone else or whether I have made just made so many changes that they just happened to solve problem.

Given that it has been 15 minutes with the COMPILING MEDIA LIBRARY message I have a feeling that it may be to no avail.

R_G

An update on this. 

It would appear that the issue is definitely to do with the WORKGROUP setting.  Due to other issues (now sorted) I went through a full factory reset and encountered the same problem as I originally described.  As soon as a changed the WORKGROUP name to be the same as my HOMEGROUP name on my PC, connection was immediately established.

Hope this helps.

R_G

That’s odd…

Homegroups don’t have “names.”    They just “exist.”

And the WD’s don’t use Homegroup, anyway, that’s a Win7 proprietary thing.