Mkv files size

Hi to all, I have recently bought a wd hd tv live and yesterday i tried to play a .mkv file which was really large (7Gb) the wd live tried to play this file but couldn’t.It stuck with the processing signal (the evolving cycle).I left it there for about 15 minutes but no luck.The device I had connected on the wd tv was a Kingston USB thumbdrive formated with NTFS.Is there any limitation to the file’s size? Best regards and thanks in advance, Panagiotis.

Post the mediainfo on this file and see the   FAQ Sections 4H and 4I

Hi my friend and thank you for your prompt response to my “issue”. Please tell me if this is a .mkv file as the one mentioned in the FAQ section. Kindly find below the output of the program mentioned :

Thank you so much in advance,

Panagiotis.

We can’t see your image (images have to be approved by the forum admin, who might be out for the weekend) so it would have been better to cut and paste the text.  However, I’ll guess that your MKV file was made by MKVMerge greater than 4.0, which will indeed just not play properly.

In that case just remux with MKVMerge 4.0 or earlier.

Hi my friend,

oops i didn’t knew that the pictures needed the admin’s permission. Here below kindly find the output from the program:

Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 6.56 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 55mn
Overall bit rate                 : 8 105 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-08-25 10:52:06
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.2.0 (‘No Talking’) built on Jul 28 2010 18:38:23
Writing library                  : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

************************************************************************************************************************************

ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 6 592 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.401
Stream size                      : 5.21 GiB (79%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 104 r1703 cd21d05
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.20 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-6 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=6592 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

************************************************************************************************************************************

ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Muxing mode                      : Header stripping
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 1.22 GiB (19%)

I hope all the above information helps.

Thanks in advance,

Panagiotis.

Sure, it’s exactly what I said in my first message.

Hi richUK and mkelley,

i wish to thank both of you for your prompt assistance. I will try to follow your detailed instructions and i will try to

re-produce the .mkv file.

Best regards to both of you,

Panagiotis.

What about vob files?

I’m having the same problem with all my vob files since this month’s update.

They barely load, and stutter.

Unplayable now :frowning:

Steve

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? The MKV file you have may have had header compression when ripped from BD. Older WDTV Live firmware didn’t support it so the movie would just hang unless you re-muxed with MakeMKV and turned header compression off. Latest firmware supports it. I had an MKV file that would do the same…just hang. I’d have to hard reboot to get it play other files after that. Once updated to the latest firmware the file plays fine.