.mkv external subtitle file problem

When  .mkv file have integrated subtitles , wdtv live don’t show   external .srt subtitles file with the same name.

How can i solve this problem?

Whats Your problem, please repeat.

I am trying to play a .mkv file who have integrated subtitles. In that  folder  there is an .str file ( the same name as .mkv) with subtitles for other language. I can switch only between subtitles integrated in .mkv and can not see subtitles from .str file. I am Sorry for may bad English.

you could use mkvtoolnix (mmg) to mux the subs you want / remove the subs you dont want and create a new mkv.

takes only a few mins…

is there any other solution to use external subtitle files?

When  .mkv file have integrated subtitles, wdtv live don’t show  external .srt subtitles file with the same name.

Actually it does. As I’ve just verified

movie.mkv ← idx/subs 1-4

movie.srt    ← srt sub 1

allows to select between 5 subtitle streams all of which are displayed.

Please let us know how you are accessing the MKV:

Media Server or  Network share?  

NAS, directly attached (usb) or PC/Mac?

Which firmware are you using?

Unfortunately i can’t see the external subtitles…

I’m accessing the MKV file with directly attached USB hard drive

and my firmware is : 1.03.01

My external subtitle name is same as MKV files.

movie.mkv  (my mkv file has subtitles (english and spanish)

movie.srt   ( itallian Languge)

but i couldn’t see…

mkvtoolnix can help but i have more then 100 movie with same problem. I don’t want to do the same proses to my all files.

is  there a simple solution can help me?

thanks

If you have firmware 1.03.01 than you don’t have a WDTV Live. You have a WDTV HD Media player.

You should post here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/bd-p/tv_hd

I have the same problem here.

I have WDTV Live and it has automaticaly downloaded the newest firmware itself.

So, how can I load external subtitle if a MKV file already has muxed/built in subtitles.

I have tryed with the same name SRT:

Example:

Underworld.Rise.Of.The.Lycans.2008.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264.dxva-EuReKA.mkv

Underworld.Rise.Of.The.Lycans.2008.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264.dxva-EuReKA.srt

It does not work. How so?

Popov wrote:

I have tryed with the same name SRT:

Example:

Underworld.Rise.Of.The.Lycans.2008.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264.dxva-EuReKA.mkv

Underworld.Rise.Of.The.Lycans.2008.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264.dxva-EuReKA.srt

It does not work. How so?

Are you connecting to a network share or to a media server?

If connecting to a media server, the issue lies with the media server not associating the SRT file with the movie.

When connecting to a network share, there shouldn’t be an issue.

It’s pretty straightforward (and quick) to mux new subtitles into an MKV with MKVmerge GUI, unless you have a huge number of files…

Dear Popov,

Were you able to find a solution for this “weird” problem of Western Digital Live HD player?

Regards,

Orkun

Dear Uzuncan,

Were you able to find a solution to this stupid problem of WD Live HD Media player?

Regards,

Orkun

why do you want to have an external subtitle file?  it’s very easy to put the external subtitle file inside the mkv.  that way, whenever you move the movie file, you automatically carry the subtitles with it.  you can fit so much into the mkv.  this is not the old Xvid/Divx days where you have the subtitle file and video file in the same folder.  everything can fit within 1 file now.