Hiding empty folders with network share

I’ve recently moved my media from a USB-attached HD to a NAS and have experienced an unfortunate (for me) difference.

When I was using the USB HD, the WDTV would not list folders that were empty, or that just didn’t contain video files (they only had a folder.jpg inside).  This was very handy for me since I put different TV series in their own folders, and I only would see folders for series that had shows in the folders.  I delete shows after watching them, but sickbeard requires the folders to stick around in order to have a place to put new episodes.  This means I’ve got lots of empty folders.  

Now that my media is stored on a NAS and shared via CIFS/Samba, all folders appear in the list regardless of whether they contain anything or not.  Is there anything I can do to change this?

Nope – what you’re describing (not showing empty folders) is a function of the Media Library database, which on these WDTV models, ONLY exists for USB-attached disks. 

The WDTV Live SMP (2011 model) and WDTV Live Hub support Media Library on network shares, as well.

I don’t use Media Library, and folders without movies are not (and has never been) shown at my directly attached disk?