Worst [Deleted] entertainment product I've ever owned

I am fed up with this product. Every update is more like a virus, putting more useless ■■■■ you don’t want and will never use while simultaneously doing little or nothing to fix any problems (usually, in fact, introducing MORE). Fast forwarding and rewinding still jumps all over the [Deleted] place, network shares still show JPG files in the video libraries (seriously, HOW HARD can it be to fix [Deleted] file type filter?), video stuttering, display settings not being remembered… this product is [Deleted], and if I didn’t need the money I would never even THINK to unleash this headache-in-a-box on some poor soul who’s stupid enough to pay for it. I have gotten to the point where I’m happier to convert all my videos for playback on the Xbox 360. And, for those who don’t know, getting a video into the right container and format is a headache on that console… but at LEAST I don’t have any of these boneheaded problems that should have been fixed instead of putting in retarded Pogo games. I don’t care what the excuse is from any developer because the cold hard fact is there IS no excuse for the way these issues have been completely disregarded in favor of padding your bottom line with content from your affiliates. Consider this to have been my last Western Digital purchase.

kevinmd88 wrote:
Fast forwarding and rewinding still jumps all over the d4mn place

That’s the way you created your files… proper encodes work fine.  It can’t be “fixed” through firmware – it can only be fixed by encoding properly.  Any media player you switch to will have the same behaviour – good luck.

network shares still show JPG files in the video libraries (seriously, HOW HARD can it be to fix a file type filter?)

Without a place to compile a Media Library, it can’t be filtered.  This has been re-hashed hundreds of times over the years – reading any of the hundreds of posts would have explained it all for you.  The period workaround still works fine, as well.

video stuttering

Most people’s video files don’t have this issue.  Could it possibly be your files or your network, as opposed to the firmwares?  Espescially considering issue #1?

I have gotten to the point where I’m happier to convert all my videos for playback on the Xbox 360

So, you’re willing to take the time to re-encode everything, to play it on something else, for the sake of complaining here, but you’re not willing to re-encode all your bad encodes to remove your FF/REV issues?  Yeah, that makes sense.

Completely ignoring the fact that you completely ignored the point of my post, no, it’s not my encodes. Straight H.264 video with AAC/AC3 audio in either an MP4 or MKV container, or Xvid with MP3 audio in an AVI.

It happens with every video, and every video I have works peachy in any other player. But of course, the brilliant conclusion you’ve reached is that it’s MUCH more likely that every single one of my videos (a few of which were PROFESSIONALLY encoded but still jump around like a slinky on a staircase) is encoded wrong.

Oh, and that’s not even ADDRESSING the fact that earlier firmwares didn’t have any of these problems. Like I said, the more they “fix,” the less that actually works. They find one bug; on average they actually fix that bug only about half the time, and somehow they make five more bugs pop up.

I have every right to [Deleted] when something I paid more than $100 for is being maintained like the lungs of a smoker who lights up a carton every day.

In addition… if WDTV isn’t making a media library, then that means the “library” is being generated on the fly. So, from the POV of a programmer, what’s so [Deleted] hard about getting an array of all the files in the directory you’re browing, running a filtering function to weed out the JPG’s, and displaying THAT result? The fact is I’ve only been using the network shares because my external took a dirtnap so I sent it in for replacement. But it’s merely a sample of the problems Western Digital is completely snoring over.

I even tried to play the videos I reencoded for 360 playback and they STILL had these problems.

So yes, in short, as much of a [Deleted] headache it is to reprocess about 800 GB of video, it still beats the [Deleted]

So, there is a commercial source for H.264 mkv and xvid avi?

The fact still remains that it’s the headers IN the video file control the FF/REV.  Files with proper headers do FF and REV properly for everyone else… so either you got a broken device and should have RMA’d it, or it’s your files.  The only other people reporting any FF/REV issues are either from PDR recordings that have no headers whatsoever, or with select pirate downloads that have been encoded poorly – some have mangled headers, and some have them spaced too far apart.

If a previous firmware didn’t have the FF/REV problems (which seems highly doubtful), since you admittedly don’t want any of the extras that have been added in 1.03, 1.04, 1.05 and 1.06, why did you upgrade to them, and why didn’t you just roll back to the firmware that works for you?

What software players can/will do is rather irrelevant – that’s apples and oranges.  Older versions of VLC would start up where ever you told them to, regardless of headers (since VLC was _ written _ to play broken encodes), but the screen would be garbled until it does get to a header… newer incarnations of VLC seem to stick to the headers, like players are supposed to, so you’re still limited by the file as to where playback starts when you FF/REV or do a chapter jump, and it won’t play where you “want” it to unless the headers support it.

I mean one of your other complaints a while back, has been a known limitation of any device using Samba, since about 2002, and affects _ everything _ using Samba, not just the WDTV devices, and yet you felt the need to demand an immediate fix for that as well from WD, despite it being completely out of WD’s hands.

Without actually writing a library anywhere, where are you expecting to store your array and do all your sorting?

kevinmd88 wrote:

Completely ignoring the fact that you completely ignored the point of my post, no, it’s not my encodes.

So what did he ignore when he said FF and REV works fine for pretty much everyone else (including me)?

kevinmd88 wrote:
I have every right to[Deleted] when something I paid more than $100 for is being maintained like the lungs of a smoker who lights up a carton every day.

Right. And see what good it does you.