Will the WWE network be available in the WDTV internet apps?

WWE launches their streaming network on Feb 24th. Looks like you will be able to stream it to your TV through game consoles, Roku, Android and IOS devices. How about the WDTV live plus?

2 Likes

Hello,

It is dificult to know if this will be available on a future firmware update.

I’d also like to know if/when this will happen.

Not to be a pessimist, but I would not bank on it. :cry:

First off, you are posting in the Live/Live Plus forum. The oldest of the WD media players. Will we even see another firmware update for this device, let alone one that adds a bunch of new streaming apps?

Secondly, even though WD has recently been adding a good amount of streaming apps to their new player (the SMP), you have to look at the main purpose of the units, which is to play local media. There are hundreds of streaming sites that could be made into apps, a lot depending on demand, contracts, the method of video used etc. No really the primary focus of WD. 

Roku on the other hand IS a streaming player that focuses on getting streaming video from the net to your TV. They do not write the applications, but due to their business model, companies write the applications for the unit. I would expect to see lots of Roku channels that you will never get on your WD device. That said, Roku is pretty crippled in playing local media. You can do it but are very limited to specific container formats, or using an external server like Plex etc.

I am a huge WD fan, and find myself proselytizing the media players to every one I know. That said, I still have a Roku and a PlayOn server to get all the great steaming content that is available these days. I know that as soon as it becomes available, I will get it on one of those two options, while your WD requires a FW update that you don’t know when will be released, and until then don’t know what it will add.

So to make and extremely long post short; I wouldn’t hold my breath unless you want your face to turn blue  :smileyvery-happy:

-P

Yeah that’s what I figured. I don’t really use the streaming apps very much but as a wrestling fac will probably be interested in the WWE network and was curious if it may be coming but you make sense. I guess I’ll look into a chromecast or something for that. 

Also since you seem to be pretty schooled in media players is there a player out there that can handle local media as well as the WD and has the plethora of streaming apps like the Roku and Apple TV?

Thanks for the info!

xangelx wrote:

Also since you seem to be pretty schooled in media players is there a player out there that can handle local media as well as the WD and has the plethora of streaming apps like the Roku and Apple TV?

Thanks for the info!

Not that I have found unless you want to build a server and run XBMC which can be a lot of work. My recommendation…

-P

Hahah thanks!

I think I’ll look into getting a chromecast.

xangelx wrote:

Hahah thanks!

I think I’ll look into getting a chromecast.

Take a look. It’s inexpensive, but doesn’t haven anywhere close to the amount of streaming channels that Roku has, and wont work with Local Media the way the WD boxes do. Great for the price, but at this point a serious lack of apps. That will be changed as people are using their SDK to write more stuff, but at the moment there is not much there. 

A WD SMP would always be my first choice since it is AMAZING with local media and still has a good amount of streaming applications. Second I would ADD a Roku based on ease of use and the sheer volume of channels you can find between the channel store on the box, and 3rd party side-loaded ones.

So no one box will do everything you want, you need to build an environment that does, a mixture of hardware and possibly software. I know I sound like a Chromecast hater, and I am really not, but it is by far the weakest of all the options at this time. At $35, you are going to get what you pay for. * This is purely my opinion and I am sure there are many people here who are content with their chromecast.

-P

Yeah I figured, but from what I’ve read I should be able to stream just about anything from my computer/android tablet to it which should work since the WWE app is how you access the network. Also like I said I don’t really use any other streaming channels so this is a cheap and easy solution. Plus I travel a lot so this is something I can take with me and plug into hotel TV’s and whatnot.

I would really, really like to see this happen too.  In fact I came here to the forum specifically to see if I could find any info on a WWE Network client.

Please make this happen, WD.  How can I officially submit a request to them?