Will ANY USB drive work?

Hi,

I’m about to purchase the WD TV Live and have a question about USB drives that I couldn’t find an answer to on the forums.

I have a Fujitsu Storagebird 320GB portable drive that connects via USB, but it requires 2 USB ports - 1 for power and 1 for data. Does anyone know if this device will/will not work with the media player? I know it has 2 USB ports, but wasn’t sure if using them for the same device would cause an issue. 

thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Not all USB drives do work, so unless someone actually has this exact same drive it’s hard to say.

Also be aware there are USB->AC power convertors you can buy (so you don’t have to use both USB ports if all you need is power on one plug).

1 Like

thanks for your response Mike.

I wasn’t aware of the converters, that’s useful to know. 

If it doesn’t work then I guess it isn’t much of a problem to pick up a compatible drive, it’s just that this one is a good size and obviously means I don’t have to spend more money (!), but they’re cheap enough these days I guess.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome.

When you try your drive, make sure you try it in both slots, because sometimes the Live is picky about what drives work in what slots (sometimes – not usually).  Since power should come correctly from both slots it won’t make a difference with your power cable either way.

Will do, thanks again!