Why doesn't DVD play in wifi modus?

I have a WD TV Live media player. It is connected to my TV (not a smart TV).

It works fine. So far, no problem :wink:.

I connected an external hard disk to it. The DVD ripped on that hard disk played perfectly. I could select a scene, change languages, …

I tried to watch that same ripped DVD in wi-fi modus: no external hard disk, just wi-fi connection to my laptop containing the ripped DVD I wanted to watch.

However, the media player finds the DVD, shows me the start page of the film (page where you can select languages, audio, scene, …) but that is as far as I get: I can not select any action. The media player simply refuses to select and start playing.

First, I thought it was the battery of the remote. I put a new battery into the remote but the result was still the same.

I tested with different DVD’s and none of them would play in wifi modus.

As they play perfectly when connected physically to an external hard disk (cable), the problem must be due to wifi.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

What player do you have - model number.

How are you trying to play this dvd. Media server or network shares.

Is it a DVD image or ripped vobs / ifo’s to a VIDEO_TS folder.

Strreaming via wireless signal can be difficult to impossible if the wifi signal between two devices is poor, weak, or just not up to being a quality signal.

Hi,

The data device is 1.16.13

I use media server.

It is ripped vobs/ifo’s to a VIDEO_TS folder.

If you need more information, pleasde let me know.

If you have firmware 1.16.13, you have a Live Streaming player and you are posting in the wrong forum. This forum is for the original live player. You should post at the link below. Note the picture at the top of the page.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/bd-p/streaming_discussions

If you are using media server then I’m not sure that the playing of DVD’s are supported. Try using the network share connection.

Out of interest what do you actually see to play when you access via media server and how are you selecting the DVD. Are you selecting the folder, a vob etc.

Various media servers will serve VOB files with no issue.   But VOBs do not represent a whole DVD.   DVD navigation and menus depend on the IFO files.  Media servers do not serve IFO files.  

About the best you can do via Media Servers is to find the VOB files that contain your movie and play those.   But they won’t be “seamless.”  You’ll have to play multiple VOB files to watch more than about 20-30 minutes at a time.

If you can see the vobs then its likely you are playing only the menu vob.

Thanks for the information.

I select media server, the mediaplayer shows me the folder My videos installed on my laptop then I select the folder of the film. This results in 2 subfolders apperaring: Audio_TS and Video_TS. I select Video_TS. The subfiles appearing then are VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2 and so forth. I select the first file and thats pretty much it. From that point on, nothing I can select.

On my laptop I see vob files, but not on the television.

I gues I’ll have to use a cable.

Select network share not media server. Then select the folder VIDEO_TS and press play on that folder.

You can play DVD rips over wifi but not generally via a media server.

The subfiles appearing then are VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2 and so forth - they are the actual DVD main video files. If you select them they will play part of the movie.

Your VIDEO_TS folder must be uppercase to play as a DVD.

Hi Rich UK

I tried using network share; Ther’s some improvement: the films plays, I can select the language via the remote of the media player. However, there’s no sound and the film plays too fast.

Also, the film is ‘shaking’: no fluency in the images.

I guess it is due to the wifi signal (YouTube, however, plays perfectly)…

What does ‘must be uppercase to play as a DVD’ mean?

Xavier666 wrote:

What does ‘must be uppercase to play as a DVD’ mean?

It should be named VIDEO_TS and not Video_TS. All uppercase characters (Capital Letters)