Why can my WDTV see music videos but no music?

Not sure if it’s something to do with my W7 networking. Probably.

I can only get to my shared folders with WDTV through “Media Server,” not “Network Drives.” This is annoying enough.

With Videos → Media Server → (computer) I can see music videos in my music folder.
But if I go Audio → Media Server → (computer) it tells me no media is available?

What gives? Ideas? Thanks!

O well, Windows 7 can be a pain in the…

See if the link below help you with your situation:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3787

JaimeZX wrote:
Not sure if it’s something to do with my W7 networking. Probably.

I can only get to my shared folders with WDTV through “Media Server,” not “Network Drives.” This is annoying enough.

With Videos → Media Server → (computer) I can see music videos in my music folder.
But if I go Audio → Media Server → (computer) it tells me no media is available?

What gives? Ideas? Thanks!

There could be quite a few things going on here.  First, because you can’t use “Network Shares” and only “Media Servers” you have not got your Win 7 and and WDTV to share properly.   Don’t know what you mean by this, but perhaps you are being asked for a password, and it barfs.  I did away with password issues by setting up Win 7 advanced network  setting to not require a password to share, and set the WDTV to auto log on for shares – end of password requests and problems.

Secondly, I think you say you are having problems finding music video files (and a music video is a VIDEO file, not an audio file) .  If when you are looking for a music video and you have no problem because you went in via the VIDEO menu --.that’s the way it should work – the WD is looking for video format files.  Now, if you go in via the Music (Audio) menu, then you are not going to find any video files, even MUSIC videos, because the WD is just looking for music files this way.  If you are looking for video files through the Music path, a folder with just videos in iitwon’t even display.  You have to look via the Video path and then that folder will show up on the WD.

This can be confusing to even an experienced user, for example, if I am looking for a video podcast in my ITunes Music folder/Podcasts folder; Yea, I am in the combined music and video files folder, too, but unless I go in via the Video menu, I’m not going to find what I am looking for – a video file.