Weirdest problem yet

A bizarre thing just happened, not really a huge problem just not sure what the heck is going on. Let me try and explain. 

When you go to start or stop a file it’s displaying a picture, I guess it’s similar to a loading screen. The weird thing is it’s a picture of my cat, a picture that I’ve never loaded up to the hard drive connected to the WD TV Live, it’s also not on my computer on the network. 

I have no clue where this picture came from, I’m sure it might have been on my computer at one point but I’ve since backed it up to a external hard drive that’s not connected to the network. 

I also have no clue how to turn this picture off, it’s not a huge problem, just something I can’t wrap my head around and I’d like to avoid having random pictures pop up before I watch any files. 

Thanks for the help!

Set one of the hotkeys on the remote to do a Screen Capture and capture the screen you’re talking about.

Post the photo.

Well it happens so fast it wouldn’t let me take a screen shot, so I had to use high burst mode on my camera and here’s an example

Right after I click resume and lasts for about 2 seconds I see this 

This same image will appear for a brief second or two after I stop playback…so strange!

We’ll need to wait for a moderator to approve the images, or you can post them to Image Shack or something.

Here;'s the links to image shack 

And 

Holy cow.  Or cat as the case may be.

That IS weird.

If you’ve tried a factory reset and that doesn’t fix it, then my only guess is that somehow one of your personal photos is intermingled with BACKDROP files for the videos.

To test for that:

Pick a video out of your collection that exhibits that behavior.   Delete the XML file that’s associated with that video.

Reboot the box.   Try again.

The thing is, it does it to EVERY video I play

Go into SETUP / APPEARANCE and make sure that your theme is set to “Mochi (default)” and not some other theme.

If it is set to Mochi Default, I can only suggest that you try a factory reset (setup / system / reset system / reset all except service accounts) … and see if THAT clears it up.

Did you happen to take the picture on your mobile that is connected to your wifi?

I had exactly the same thing one night, stopped playback and there was a picture of the sofa on the tv screen that was taken from my wifes mobile (Samsung Galaxy S3). Really freaked me out.

Turns out there is a share button on the gallary on her phone and it recognises the WDTV live, Until you stop sharing it on the phone it will keep displaying it.

Hope that helps.

warrinm wrote:

Did you happen to take the picture on your mobile that is connected to your wifi?

I had exactly the same thing one night, stopped playback and there was a picture of the sofa on the tv screen that was taken from my wifes mobile (Samsung Galaxy S3). Really freaked me out.

Turns out there is a share button on the gallary on her phone and it recognises the WDTV live, Until you stop sharing it on the phone it will keep displaying it.

Hope that helps.

ah, that would make sense

more dnla issues

wd is a dnla renderer

so any dnla capable device can contol it

i.e. start playback, etc …

sounds like a dnla server, possibly on a phone as mentioned above is mis behaving

and to further suport this fact, the older live or live plus device which I’ve extensively tested

any move, photo, music, etc started via upnp that is missing the meta data will be displayed/started in the background

which sounds exactly what your seeing

in background, i.e. behind the normal screen it’s displaying this picture

and temporarily when the osd is changing etc you can see the picture in the background, just briefly

So this has happened twice to me so you are not loosing your mind and it has nothing to do with sharing or photo stream. It has happened with netflix both times. I will press stop and bam, random picture.
The first time was an entertaining one of a self shot nude photo of a girl on a couch. No idea who she but there it was on my screen. This last time was a much more boring shot of a city skyline at sunset. These just pop up though and then go away seconds after sometimes reoccurring. They also seem to coincide with my box crashing. I know pretty much all of my photos on all my computers and phones on the network and i am a 100% sure they are not mine.

Hi all,

I had a coincidence this week that I thought must have happened from a firmware upgrade I did via wireless?

And we all thought this is more than weird.  After firmware upgrade, we suddenly noticed a pictured embedded before and after every movie. The picture turns out to be a picture of daughters boy friend that is on her Samsung galaxy 2. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life seeing him, how do I remove it please anybody? I have gone through all files and thumbs on the WDTV, but cannot find this picture?   The phone was never connected to WDTV either? Daughter and Phone are a thousand miles away now, but picture is still on WD device somehow?

You could try resetting your player to factory defaults. You could also try another drive connected to the player, if the photo does not show then you would know it was somewhere on the original drive.

richUK

Thankyou for reply,  I did try different other USB drives with other movies, but picture is still there. I am going to do a reset and Post progress for others.

I hope there is a future Firmware upgrade to stop this WDTV “stealing pictures”.  I would hate to turn it on one day and have my neighbours "**bleep** " on my unit,  in veiw of my children?

A reset worked fine to remove embedded picture. Although I fine entering the network details and password with inscreen keyboard a real pain.    Needs to be a fix for this picture stealing off smart phones?

Needs to be a fix for this picture stealing off smart phones?

Seems to me this is a phone issue and not a media player issue.  This could be a real problem for folks living just a wall apart, say in an apartment, and a picture jumps off someone’s phone onto the neighbor’s TV. 

No, it needs people to fix their smartphones’ pointless oversharing by default.

Ianph wrote:

A reset worked fine to remove embedded picture. Although I fine entering the network details and password with inscreen keyboard a real pain.    Needs to be a fix for this picture stealing off smart phones?

You could try using a USB keyboard to enter the details.