WDTV live stutters with USB disk

I have WDTV Live and it is connected to WD MyBook 1TB disk.

Disk is loaded with movies and pictures, but also with lot of other files.

When I turn on WDTV it indexes disk for more than 10 minutes. If I start to watch the movie before indexing is complete after few minutes movie starts to stutter and is in kind of slow motion without sound.

When I let indexing to finish everything seams to work fine.

Also if I turn media library off movies stutter same as if I didn’t wait for indexing to finish.

When stuttering starts there is lot of disk activity (I can hear disk working intensively)

Firmware of WD TV is 1.04.17

I tried to reset WD TV and defragment drive but that didn’t help.

In the other room I got WD TV Live Hub and when I connect same disk to it everything works fine.

What I like to know is this normal or there is something wrong with my WD TV?

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Best whishes,

Dag

P.S.

Sorry for my english, as you probably guessed it is not my native language :slight_smile:

The indexing is just one time thing so you should let it index you files and then start watching your videos.  you should run data lifeguard diagnostics on the My Book to see it does not have any errors.  Remember the Live Hub has more processing power than WD TV Live therefore you can’t compare it.

lifeonit wrote:

Remember the Live Hub has more processing power than WD TV Live.

No, not really… They’re using the same family of processors…   The North American Live Hubs and Plus have identical processors, and they only differ from the Live processor by the inclusion of hardware DRM…

The Non-North America Hub and the Live have identical processors.

Thank you for your answer.

Problem is WD TV indexes every time I turn it on, and it lasts for more than 10 minutes.

During that time stuttering happens.

Is that normal behavior?

Your video/audio stuttering problem is not unique nor is it associated only with USB  attached media, it also happens with Network Shares. Some attribute this stuttering to high(er) bitrate movies and that might be true to some extent., but my belief is that this issue is 100% firmware related  … they have not got it right yet …

I have been using WD TV Live without  such issues  for quite a while unitl it began so I managed to associate with a  recent firmware upgrade, downgrading my firmware to 0349 (memory) has almost resolved the stutering, the very few occassions that it happens a reboot  power down/up of the WD TV Live solves it. 

Good luck!

Thank you very much.

I will try to downgrade firmware, I just have to search forum to see how.

I will report if this solved my problem.

Best whishes.

dgebauer wrote:

Thank you very much.

I will try to downgrade firmware, I just have to search forum to see how.

I will report if this solved my problem.

Best whishes.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Sorry for not replaying for long time.

I tried everything suggested:

• lifeguard diagnostics reports that my disk is ok

• firmware downgraded to 1.03.49

Unfortunatly firmware downgrade didn’t help.

Could it be that thera are to many files on disk (disk is loaded with lots of documents, not just media files) and trying to index them is slowing down WDTV?

I was suspecting that indexing is problem, but don’t understand why there is lot of disk activity with media library turned off!

It sounds like WDTV is indexing regardless media library is turned off.

If anyone still has any idea I would be very grateful