WDTV has become basically useless. Help

Over the past few weeks I have noticed gradually declining performance in my WDTV to the point where it no longer works. 

I have the latest firmware installed and connect via wifi with a netgear n300 dgn2200v3 router. I get 1-2 bars signal and connect to the “server” which is my windows 7 ultimate PC.

Basically, I noticed stutters when playing. The arrorw would circle for a few seconds, then play again. Then the arrow spinning time would get longer and longer and now its basically endless (I become impatiant and give up).

It has also recently now struggling to connect to the server and when it does, the arrow spins for ages before the media plays (several minutes) and when the video started to play it did so for about 30 seconds then froze again.

Can anyone help me with how to diagnose where the fualt is (wifi, WDTV, etc) and how to remedy?

Thanks.

Abandon the wireless and connect the player directly to the router.

unfortunatly not an option. nor should it be. wireless speeds have become good enough and i can stream 1080p content to my ipad from the same room.

quickie wrote:

unfortunatly not an option. nor should it be. wireless speeds have become good enough and i can stream 1080p content to my ipad from the same room.

What WiFi adapter (Brand & Model) are you using on the WDTV? 

Ultimately, you’ve already said you only get 1-2 signal bars on the WDTV… that’s pretty weak.  Doesn’t matter what your iPad can do in the same room.   The WDTV isn’t an iPad.

If it was working OK before, you apparently have some kind of interference or channel congestion; common problems with WiFi these days.   That’s all there is to it.

Us InSSIDer to find a better channel and switch to it.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

What WiFi adapter (Brand & Model) are you using on the WDTV? 

Thanks for the reply.

Not 100% sure what you mean here. The router/modem I am connecting to is a netgear n300 dgn2200v3. It uses wireless n.

Is that what you are after.

No, I’m asking what adapter you bought for the WDTV.

If it had built-in WiFi, the you’re in the wrong forum. The subject devices in this forum don’t have built-in WiFi.

I agree with hard wiring this device. Unless you have confidence in your ISP’s connection rate and stability go for it. I had DSL when I first started streaming and quickly found out my DSL providers signal was too often unpredictable, so I switched to cable and paid up for a faster speed. One notch above the budget pkg with comcast. Now for the most part I don’t have these problems.

I’m confused… I have a WD TV Live and I did not need to purchase an adapter to connect with wifi. What forum covers that product if not this one? 

This one:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming