WDTV doesn't see new files

Hi - I’ve encountered this problem before a few months ago and now it’s happened again. I have 250 odd movies in a folder on my windows xp pc and can usually stream these no problem. I added a few new avi files the other day and my WDTV won’t ‘see’ them. I can’t remember how I managed to fix this last time but now I’m running out of ideas, I’ve tried a factory reset but to no avail. This is getting frustrating, any ideas?

Hello,

Are you sharing the movies folder on your network, or are you using a media server?

Hi I’m sharing the movies folder on my network. I’ve downloaded the instr manual and discovered a reset button on the side, am going to try this with all cables disconnected. Does the WD have an internal memory or something? This problem hasn’t come back for months…

Hi - After numerous resets and scratching of the head, the problem still persisted until I tried selecting network shares instead of media server. Network shares has never worked for me so I was gobsmacked when my pc showed up, this must be something to do with the latest firmware upgrade, any way, not only can I see all 260 odd films but I can see my whole pc now through network shares, including both c and e drives, still can’t believe it! I was really considering ditching this, but not now :). Regards

Hi - A couple of weeks on and all is well, still able to use network shares and access all drives including external ones plugged into my PC. This must be due to the recent firmware upgrade as I’ve never been able to access network shares before, only media server.

Very satisfied

Hello,

I have the same problem here. I have an old WD TV Live device, most probably it’s gen 1. Newest firmware.

I’ve encountered this problem several times over the last years, but found no solution. I use my WD only very seldom, but as I recall, the last time I encountered this problem (which is nearly each time I use it), my solution was to wait for two days. Then the new files were displayed.

I have a synology DS210j with media server activated and problem is, each time a add new files, WD TV doesn’t display them. I can’t do a workaround by using “network shares” as the synology is only displayed under “media servers”.

It’s now kind of annoying. Pulling out the plug doesn’t help, and - sorry to say - I’m not willing to do a factory reset each time I add new video files. No to mention that most other users with the same problem weren’t even successful by doing a factory reset, from what I’ve read.

Isn’t there a solution to this? It seems to me, the WD TV scans all the directories and files only once in a while. Isn’t there a way to make a manual scan/update?

I’ve found many descriptions of this issue on the internet, but so far there’s no solution to this… maybe I’ve overlooked helpful postings, but all I found where postings with no solution…

regards,

tomarse

Tomarse, the WD doesn’t EVER scan media servers. It’s up to your media server to update itself.

I have repeatedly rescanned my music files so Windows re-catalogs them, and then shows them to WDTV via Media servers.  One does this by un-sharing the folder and then re-sharing it (all this is done in Windows).  Depending upon how much data needs to be scanned, it can take quite a while.  My music takes over an hour for around 80GB.  Once you do the re-share the HD led lights up and stays lit until the job is done.  If Windows tells you the folder is shared, but the led is still shining brightly, it isn’t done yet. Reboot PC when led calms down and job is finished, because Windows needs to read the big file it created upon boot-up so it can serve up the info to the WDTV.

I had a refresher course earlier today.  WD could not see my music via Media server (because Windows was not serving it up).  So, I did the above, and then rebooted the PC and WD player and now the WD sees the music again.  (Until Windows looses track of it again.)

Today I couldn’t connect to network shares after weeks of trouble free use, tried to remember what I’d done over the last couple of days which could of effected it, I updated avg to 2014 edition on a fee trial, after a couple of hours of trying different things including settings on avg, I decided to disconnect avg for 10 minutes, as soon as I tried to connect to network shares, it worked, whilst streaming a film using network shares I re enabled avg and all is well again, just thought I’d share this with you…

Hi 

I have experienceed the same issue as you.  I also use a synology and added some files today which were not picked up by the WD TV Live.  

i tried hard resetting the WD TV, i also rebooted the Synology but nothing seems to work.  Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a reply from Western Digital regarding this problem.

since the time you posted the issue did you find anything that worked to resolve this issue?

also Tomarse - maybe worth checking this link out - possibly something to do with the indexer for the media server

http://www.avforums.com/threads/synology-ds212j-updated-files-not-showing-on-ps3-or-wdtv-live.1714707/

Hi
Since using network shares instead of media player I’ve had no problems with this device at all, any new files show up straight away, I don’t even have to restart my pc, they are visible immediately, daren’t touch it now, just using to stream my movies, if there’s another firmware upgrade, I won’t be installing it :slight_smile: