WDTV can not play selected file

My WDTV live media player suddenly stops playing selected files. The files are on my 1 TB WD elements  usb drive. Connected by usb cable.

The WDTV is connected by HDMI cable to the TV.

The file are TV shows and films. I can see all the titles etc but as soon as I select a file and press the OK button in order to start it I get the message: Not possible to play the seleced file. See the manual for supported file formats.

This is what I did so far:

Safely disconnected the usb apparatus (WD elements) , and connect it to my iMac . I could see no problems, all the files were ok and could be played on my iMac. The various file formats were listed in the manual.

Connected the usb WD element back to the WDTV live. Still the same problem.

I do not understand it. It has been playing ok for more than 6 months.

Please help me.:cry:

What WD model do you have?

Have you updated the firmware lately?

Have you tried resetting the player?

@ peterwillem

As Rich said, you mostly need to reboot your player if you haven’t done so already.  We all get this msg from time to time, and rebooting the player makes the gremlin go away.  A bad file probably caused it in the first place.

Ok thanks,

I have a WD TV live streaming media player. Latest firmware update less 2 months old.

I have not reset the player as yet. Will do so at earliest convienience.  Let you know.

peterwillem wrote:

Ok thanks,

I have a WD TV live streaming media player. Latest firmware update less 2 months old.

I have not reset the player as yet. Will do so at earliest convienience.  Let you know.

When I said “reboot” I mean to turn it completely off (even unplug it,) then after 30 secs plug it back in and turn it back on.

Sometimes when people say “reset it” they mean to return it to factory defaults.  Do not do this unless rebooting doesn’t help.

Thx,

I just read your reply, but I allready did a reset and it worked.

But before I resetted it I had allready switched the power off for a couple of hours. And before resetting I turned the power on and connected the USB apparatus .  Normally than the media library should be compiled for a while (several minutes if not longer) But that did not happen it took only a few seconds to compile. I did not tested it further but did the reset right away so I don’t know if the power cut helped any.

Anyhow now it is working fine and problem solved, but I remember the power cut for next time.

Glad you got it fixed.