sportflyer

WDTV Optical output

I have selected audio output as digital.   When receiving  24bit/96khz flac files , does WDTV Live pass this through the optical outputs unchanged or it down converts everything to 16bit/44.1 khz. I am using firmware version 1.03.49.    Thanks

Honored Contributor
ragdexx

Re: WDTV Optical output

To my understanding it should play it with the same bit rate.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
sportflyer

[ Edited ]

After some Google searches  and in some older threads here , I found that the WDTV Live downsamples everything to 44.1KHZ  . So all Optical Output does is  to allow one to use an ext DAC  . There have been quite a few requests for a passthrough function  from Audiophiles but no solution . Not sure why , maybe they have higher priorities .

Anyway I checked and my WDTV Live outputs 44khz  PCM  from Optical as well as HDMI . ( From info screen of the Onkyo Receiver)  .  I have a previous version of WDTV Live WDBAAN0000NBK and my firmware version is 1.03.49.  If a later version allows pass through of 24/96 please let me know.  Thanks

sportflyer

I installed the latest firmware 1.06.15 and now I can get 96KHZ Audio from the WDTV Live but only through HDMI .

Toslink still downsamples to 44.1 Khz  

Can anyone confirm this is so?  

Tks

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD