WDTV Live suddenly struggles with 720p+ files

Hello everyday,

My WDTV Live behaved absolutely perfectly ever since I got it, until about a month ago that is… There hasn’t been any updates that I am aware of recently and I haven’t made any changes at all to it or the PC with my videos.

I occasionaly use the box when family is around to show old videos and stuff but recently it really struggles with some 720P files and almost all 1080P files from my camera. It stutters on a 15 second video :neutral_face:

What is wrong with it and how can it be fixed? :frowning:

Where are these files, on a network device or attached drive.

If  via network how are you streaming them, network shares or media player.

If via network how are you connected on the player, wifi or Ethernet.

What player do have, original live or newer live streaming gen3.

Hey, RichUK,

All of my files are on a network share, I am certain the files themselves are good as they play fine on my PC. I first noticed the problem whilst having my network share added to the WDTV’s media library - the problem persists even if I watch it directly through network share.

I am connected to the internet via Ethernet :slight_smile:

I have thisWDTV :slight_smile:

You have a newer Live Streaming Player gen3 so you should in future post on the board below. This board is for the older original live

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions (note picture at top)

Have you tried resetting your player to factory defaults.

Is the device withthe  files on also connected via Ethernet. Is your whole network ethernet.

Did these same files play OK in the past or are they new ones which have never played properly.

What happens if you put them on say a USB flash drive connected directly to the player.

Hello again dude,

I apologise for posting in the wrong forum :frowning:

I’ve reset the device already but the problem is still there, I have tried lifting up the device slightly by putting a pencil underneath it to see if overheating was the problem to no avail.

These files played perfectly well in the past, that’s why I don’t understand what is happening. It plays well on my PC. I just tried to play the same problem files directly through a flash drive and I got no problems! :smiley:

Why is it good with the flash drive but not with ethernet? :confused:

The only reason for posting in the correct forum is so you get the correct answers from other users with same model.

I suppose you could reboot your router and see if that does anything.

Nope, no change :frowning: