WDTV Live - requires constant reset - frustrating

My Live Plus doesn’t have a restart control either,  So my “restart button” for the Live Plus (as with many of my other black boxes without a power button) is to purchase (at Home Depot) another wall-wart type of on/off switch that the box plugs into at the wall outlet.  Seems I have bought plenty of these, as most products forgo the power button anymore.  Kudos to any new products that still include the power button!

Heheh…  consider me “schooled.”  :)

It’s no surprise you thought all players had this cause that’s just what one would expect, especially given how buggy those firmwares are.

What part of   FROZEN  do you have a problem with comprehending?

When something is FROZEN, how does one navigate to ANY setting? [Deleted]

Yeah, except the WD Live TV Hub that DOES have a power button has one that DOES NOT WORK WHEN THE BOX HAS FROZEN.

The ONLY thing to do is to unplug/replug it back in.

And by doing so, you’ve lost your place in the movie.  Hope you can remember how long you’ve been watching.  And then hope you can fast-forward without freezing the box (again).

I also had frequent lockups. Mostly solved by:

1. Set the device vertical for better cooling and dont let sunlight cast on the unit.
  2. Disable media library. It scans for content changes and that just doesnt work well. It overheats the unit and has issues with large media libraries.

Then there is the issues if certain apps like netflix. Netflix is just very unstable. The regular media player almost never hangs the unit anymore.

Why hasnt this been fixed yet?  Uhg… I am so DONE with WD Products.

I have 5 WDTV Live boxes and all of them have this issue.  I have to constantly unplug the box to reset it in order to play files.  I did NOT have this problem when I first bought the boxes many moons ago.

WD: What is the status?  Why isnt this fixed?  This product is NOT operating as expected.

1 Like

I have 4 and none of them have this issue.

Then why are you in this thread?

1 Like

I have two Live Plus units and they play fine.  Rarely do they crash.  I play video files from known and reliable sources (i.e. I make them myself)  I mostly play media from drives directly connected to media player, yet often stream stuff to the WD through the wired network or via my iPad, wirelessly. I have a good gigabit home network.  All is fine and well.  Problems can occur for folks if any of these factors are out of whack.

+1 to both Mike and TF.

I have found my Live+ to be extremely stable, and actually the most stable of all the WD devices I own. I have just attibuted this to having a small feature set and basic UI so less things that can go wrong. I have no local disks attached so connect via network share to access my personal media, and over the media server option to get to PlayOn. It’s been a workhorse that has been on essentially for 3+ years straight, and has worked flawlessly. Issues seem to often be caused by other network problems, and video that are encoded incorrectly.

-P

tgwaste wrote:

…because, quite often, people who demand WD fix something later discover the issue is in their own environment after other people’s experiences and commentary coax them into looking in a different direction.

1 Like

tgwaste wrote:

Because I wasn’t aware I had to ask you (of all people) before posting. Sorry.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

tgwaste wrote:

…because, quite often, people who demand WD fix something later discover the issue is in their own environment after other people’s experiences and commentary coax them into looking in a different direction.

That’s a great answer Tony. Often people dont realize that since we all have deifferent network environments, a post that says that something does work, is often more important to your troubleshooting than one that confirms your issue.

-P

There are other people in this thread having the same type of problem. If you are not experiencing these problems then posting so is completely useless and unhelpful to the rest of the people here. In fact it’s worse than that. It’s borderline trolling. We are glad you are not having problems. Move on. You are not providing any value.

tgwaste wrote:
There are other people in this thread having the same type of problem. If you are not experiencing these problems then posting so is completely useless and unhelpful to the rest of the people here. In fact it’s worse than that. It’s borderline trolling. We are glad you are not having problems. Move on. You are not providing any value.

@tgwaste

Your comments above are totally out of line.  Since this is only your 10th post at the WD forum, you know basically nothing about how things work around here.  For one thing, smart alecks are not tolerated.  Also, most of the people responding here, and whom you are chastising, are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in these forums. 

So Pal, here is a word of advice to a newbee here:  Sit down, clam up, and just pay attention for now – and resist being a smart aleck.  And be nice!  If you don’t, you risk being banned from the forums.  Moderators are watching us.

tgwaste wrote:

You must have missed the “community” part of “WD Community”. Your perception of the value of another members post is not not relevant here. When folks are having issues, most of us (apparently not you) want to hear if others are not. It is helpful in troubleshooting the problem. You are more than welcome not to read those posts. One would think that those of us who are successfully running the devices probably have a good Idea on how to use them in a way that keeps them working. 

Sorry to hear your 5 WD boxes don’t work, I am sure it’s frustrating. Perhaps some of us here with working setups can help you out if you provide enough details on your setup, especially since I would not hold my breath waiting for new FW on the Live or Live+ at this point in their life cycles.

As for your anger an aggression issues, they are probably best worked out in a different community than this.

-P

any chance of getting back on the technology issue ?

Sure, what’s your question?

the fact that wdtv looses all acces during runtime…