WDTV Live - random avi files being converted to folders

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on a weird issue I’m having.

I have a WDTV Live with the latest firmware connected to a 3TB WD Elements drive via USB. I have many files on this drive in various subfolders but I have the strange issue that random avi files will be converted to folders but with the title of the original file with a .avi at the end.

These folders only show up when I’m browsing to the drive from a computer, on the WDTV Live itself, the files are just gone. It’s not files on the root of the drive but avi files in subfolders some 3 levels deep and it’s only random ones, others are fine. The folder size shows as 0 bytes and I can’t see anyway to restore the avi files. Can anyone give me any clues as to what I can do to restore the files and also stop this from happening?

Hello, have you tried pressing the reset button?

I’m having the same problem here. All of a sudden, maybe after the last WD Live update, some of movie thumbnails are randomly converted to folders! 

I am having this issue as well (on two different WD Live Plus devices).

Randomly several of my .iso files and .jpg files have been converted into empty folders with the same names.

I have been using these players for a few years, and this nonsense has just started with the last firmware update.

(WDTV Live Plus + WD Essentials 2TB drives)

So this conversions did not happen before 1.06.43?

I have had two Live Plus players, each with it’s own 2TB WD drive, for quite some time and have never had any corruption on either.

After the last FW update, both drives have had various .iso and .jpg (thumbnail) files converted into empty folders with the same name.

Different files on each player, and it keeps happening to more files as time goes on.

I only access the drives over a network the drives are never removed from the players, and the players are always on.

(Rolling back to the previous FW version today)

Can you do that? Revert to a previous version I mean? How?

if you google “rollback live plus”, there is a wdc help page which has a link to the rollback firmware which is Firmware Ver. 1.06.16_B.

You basically copy the three files to the root of a USB key, plug it in, and you will get the “New Firmware Found” message.

The version will actually say it is 2.xxx but it is really 1.xxx once it is installed.

After that, you just need to do the same thing with the 1.06.34 firmware.

The link on download.wdc.com doesn’t seem to work anymore.

The filename was wdtvliveplus_1.06.34_B.zip. Maybe you can find it somewhere else.

Maybe 1.06.34_B was pulled because it was unstable.

Do some reasearch and decide which version you want to use.

Good luck!

Pretty much the same story for me. I have used my WD TV Live Plus for several years with one attached USB 2TB WD drive. After the most recent update (1.06.42_B) I had several playlist files (.pls) changed to a directory and made useless. Thankfully, I have all my video files under a directory /.hidden/Video/ that the WD box doesn’t even see. This limited my destruction to the files that can be seen - my playlists and the associated .jpg thumbnails for the playlists. Both of these I can easily recreate.

There is another thread where .34 was removed by wdc

“Firmware 01.06.34 Removed from update page”

Although I haven’t noticed any problems, I think I am going to rollback to 1.06.16.

Haven’t noticed this in the last couple of weeks but live in terror of suddenly finding my 2 TB of files suddenly being converted and lost.

Yes it seems to only have happened since the last firmware update, hasn’t anyone had any issues after downgrading? And what’s the exact process for downgrading?

This same issue happens with .34. I have had more .iso and .jpg files converted to folders.

I must have been using .16 prior to the .42 update since I see a feature in .34 that I know I didn’t have before.

I am rolling back to 1.06.16_B.

Hopefully that will preserve my drive contents.

Thank you everyone! Rolling back saved the day! 

Anyone knows if 1.06.43_V suffer the same problems?

I rolled back both of my Live Plus devices to 1.06.16_B.

It been about a month and none of the files have been converted to folders.

1.06.34_B was bad

1.06.42_B was bad

I’m running 1.06.43_V and it’s doing it!!!

ARGH!

Is WD aware of this?    Are they planning on fixing it?

Hello,

We had reported this issue to WD, they forwarded to the WDTV department.

Every firmware prior to 1.06.34 should not have this bug.

The created folders are not empty, but invalid. AFAIK they can only be removed by reformatting

The same problem here. I have downgraded the firmware hoping to save my files. Now the WD TV Live starts with message “new firmware available”, and I have to ignore this. Nice.