WDTV Live locks up with QNAP TS-469l (FW4.0.2 and FW4.0.3) on the network

Hi there,
I have a problem with my QNAP TS-469L (FW 4.0.2) and my WD TV Live Media Player(s) with latest FW.
I can play a movie without problems, but after about 2 hours of inactivity another movie won’t start and I get stuck on a bluish wheel of death. I can go back and navigate thru the WD menues but I won’t be able to run another movie file without getting stuck on that wheel. My current solution is to soft/hard reset or power off/on the WD device to be able to play another movie until this problem reoccurs.

I already disabled almost every service on my QNAP including UPnP and UPnP port forwarding in myQNAPcloud but without success. The only services which are still enabled are AFP and NFS.

Of course QNAP blames WD but this doesn’t help me.

Any ideas?

imiwolf

Imiwolf,

What access permissions are the ones involved with your NAS? Public shares, or private shares? Base don your post you are currently using AFP and NFS, but do you have the same issue while using SMB?

I use private shares but my permission settings are correct. Yes I have the same issue with SMB. I just deactivated everything besides AFP and NFS hoping to solve the issue this way…without success. I don’t use SMB because I cannot acces my shared movie folder with WDTV live via SMB…I get a message that the folder is empty and cannot see any subfolders with windows shares. It works fine with any other device besides WDTV Live, though.

Imiwolf,

Thank you for your reply. This being the case, does it happen only with this particular NAS? If you try to create network shares from your computer, do you encounter the same issue? If so, then your WD TV may be at fault.

Hi,
it only happens with this particular NAS. I also have a QNAP TS-210 with the same FW version and exactly the same settings as on the QNAP TS-469L and on the TS-210 everything works fine. The only difference between these two NAS is that the TS-469 is much more powerful and has 4 HDD (4x4TB) which are configured as RAID 5 as opposed to my TS-210 which has 2x2TB configured as RAID 10.
Any idea if the different RAID mode or HDD number/size could be the culprit?

I own 2 WDTV Live streaming media players and both of them show the same reproducable problem.
I also own a WDTV Live HD media player with current FW which I am currently testing. First test showed that also from this device I cannot access network shares even when I log on as the administrator of my NAS (TS-469L). I immediately get the message that there are no files in the shared folder…I can access network folders of other NAS devices, though. Latest by tomorrow I will know if this media player also locks up after some hours of inactivity.

UPDATE: Also WDTV HD Live media player locks up as described above.

Any ideas ?

Imiwolf,

At this point considering your other NAS devices are working fine and a different WD TV model is also affected with this particular NAS, then we may need to consider the possibility of protocol or firmware incompatibility.