WDTV Live Plus and QNAP

I have a WDTV Live Plus HD with the current firmware.  I used to have a dLink DNS-321 NAS, which the WD would play videos from just fine.  I replaced the dLink with a QNAP NAS, set up simply as a network share.  The WD will “see” the NAS, but when I select it, it shows error “There is no media in the current folder.”

I also have a WDTV Live Streaming player.  It will access the QNAP, show the configured shares, and play video files just fine.  Both players are configured in the QNAP identically as far as user setup and access permissions go. 

I’ve tried ideas found here in the forums, but nothing has fixed the problem.  Anyone have any other ideas that may help me make the WDTV Live Plus access the QNAP shares?

Thanks.

What happens if you log into the QNAP from the WDTV using the same credentials on both?

I’ve used QNAP TS-410 and TS-412 NASes for years with no issues on any of my WDTVs.   So I’m sure you’ve just got a simple config issue on the QNAP.

“So I’m sure you’ve just got a simple config issue on the QNAP.” - I’m sure you’re right, Tony, but I sure as heck can’t figure out what.

It’s been a while since I set up the WD players, but don’t you get a share login prompt only when attempting to access the share?  (That is, there is not a place in the setup options to enter the credentials.)  I’m not getting that.  I tried clearing the saved credentials, which are the same for the QNAP as they were for the dLink.

One thing I just thought of that I’ve not tried is to reset the WD back to factory settings and start over.  These forums are full of suggestions to do that, so I’ll give that a try tomorrow.

Well resetting to factory defaults did not help. I noted that the reset did not affect the network settings; still had the same IP, Gateway, etc. I then changed the IP address to a different one (saved one was a valid address), turned off Auto Login, and cleared the login info once more. Then when I accessed the QNAP, got a login prompt and was able to access just fine.

Made no changes on the QNAP, so the issue was just flakiness in the WD, I guess.

Jack