WDTV Live Plus, Netflix connect problems

Well I just got the Live Plus a couple of weeks ago, everythings been working fine but all of a sudden my Netflix cant connect anymore, I dont even get into my instant queue at all, it just says “cannot connect to Netflix” and has the options to try again or cancel and it lists the device support site, I saw the post about resetting the WDTV to its defaults and de-authorizing the device on Netflix’s site.  I did both of these things and now I cant even get a code from the WDTV to re-authorize it, I just get the same message as soon as Netflix loads.  Nothing I’ve done works so far and I’m not sure what the issue is, Netflix works great on my Xbox 360 and my PS3, so its not a network issue, I can see all my shares and access anything on my network fine, but Netflix is not working at all anymore…

Any ideas/help would be appreciated, its not a huge deal because I have other ways of playing my Netflix streaming, but I got this because it could do everything in one box and now Netflix has just stopped loading all together and I cant connect anymore :( 

I assume that you have re-entered your network settings after your reset and you have checked that you can access other internet sites such as youtube.

Yep, all works great, Pandora, Youtube, all my network shares…Netflix as soon as it tries to load just errors out…it wont generate a code for me anymore, streaming works on all my other devices…wonder if the box went bad already

I live in the UK and cannot get Netflix so I really can’t help but I am sure somebody else will be up soon with better advice. Meanwhile my replying will keep your post at the top.

Well thanks for that, I’m thinking the box went bad already, hard reset with the outside button does not work either, Netflix just cant load at all anymore and I wonder if its something with the copyright chip thats in this thing, cant think of any other reason why everything else works and just Netflix doesnt, probably gonna have to send it back to Amazon, I sent in a direct email to WD to see what they say, shame I will have to wait till next week for a reply probably :frowning:

I did note that with PS3 this type of error was to do with internal date and time. However as there is no way of changing that in the wdtv then it is of no help.

Yeah I read about all of that and the PS3, the date fixed that on almost everyone’s that had that problem…but yes the WDTV has no way of checking the internal time, so if it went off and needs reset one cannot do this to fix the problem, none of the other services on the box require a proper date and time, so that could very well be the issue and could be fixed in a firmware update

Still hoping someone looks at this, this is a whole new problem that no one else seems to be having…definitely an issue with the Live Plus box itself, cannot find out ANY information on this issue

Same problem here… In fact, thats what I came to this forum in search of…   I’ve had this device for a couple weeks and the first few times I tried Netflix it worked fine, although a little slow to navigate.  Streaming worked great though (my internet is 30 mbps down).  The past few days though it starts to show the menus and list movies but then just times out and gives the cannot connect to neflix error message.  Youtube works fine, my NAS works fine, everything else seems ok… just not Netflix.  I have an original WDTV, then got the Live because I was told it would be upgraded to support Netflix…that never happened, so now I got the live Plus and it doesn’t work right.  I think I’m still within the limit to return it…

Part of my day job is network engineering so its definately not a local LAN problem.  My Xbox 360 works with Netflix just fine so its definately not an ISP filtering problem…

Yeah it definitely seems like its a problem with the Netflix app on the Live Plus or something, nothing else is having an issue, I would imagine this would have some issues as there arent many media boxes like this that natively support Netflix besides the Roku (which was the first and probably the best dedicated netflix box), so I’m thinking some kinks need worked out somewhere, if its a time related issue, the PS3 has been known to do this exact thing when the time or date is wrong, thats something that needs addressed in a firmware update…since its the holiday I still havent got a response yet, but hopefully tomorrow I’ll hear something from them about this problem, there seems to be a lot of Netflix related issues with the Live Plus so far

Bump, got to keep this on top as its a unique problem, hopefully someone reads this and replies with some kind of an answer

Still havent heard anything from WD about this issue, kind of pissed that I havent gotten a reply, its sitting at Escalated status, I’m thinking there isnt anything I can do about it right now, either sit and wait or return the box, most likely to get another one that has the same problems…this Netflix stuff doesnt seem like it was tested very well before it made it out in their new box

I can confirm, I now have the same problem with Netflix. Can’t connect despite everything else working and despite my PS3 working just fine.

This issue is being worked on.

1 Like

Thanks very much for that, was hoping that this was being looked at…guess I’ll just be waiting for an eventual firmware update :slight_smile:

I wish someone would have informed me that WD was aware of and working on this problem prior to now!

I have spent several hours on the phone with the out-sourced (and worthless) tech support at Western Digital. At their request, I had to make a 45 mile trip (90 mile round trip) to Best Buy to return the first WDTV Live Plus that I purchased, because they felt it was a defective unit. After trying the second WDTV Live Plus, I still could not connect to Netflix and ended up making another 45 mile trip (90 mile round trip) to Best Buy to return the second one. I ended up getting my money back, because I was getting no where with the problem.

My support call was supposedly escalated to someone in engineering that was supposed to be returning my call - this was 2 weeks ago!

Very unhappy customer,

Robert Pfeifer

Pifemaster Productions

http://www.pifemaster.com

Interestingly enough…while I can’t explain why, I now, today, can register again with Netflix.

I would love to know what is causing this and why this is happening.

I’ve kept trying and still no luck, tried earlier this evening and the same problem, wonder if its something on Netflix’s end and the way the Live Plus is talking to them, who knows, will keep trying 

Having the same problem, got this from e-mail support, seems to correct things, even if only a temp fix for now, at least I can watch netflix:

“Currently WD is working with NetFlix to determine the root cause of this issue. A temporary solution is to perform a factory reset from within the User interface of the WDTV Live Plus unit. Once reset you will need to re-associate the unit with your Netflix account. This will not harm the unit, and may need to be performed 2 or 3 times.”

One thing to note that when you reset, you will have to re-enter your password for YouTube or any other saved username and passwords, i did this reset and I was able to connect to netflix after the first reset, after that you will need to re-associate your WD TV Live media player with your netflix account.

As for the e-mail support, I got the answer in less then 24 hours, for me it was better the sitting on hold on the phone.

Skought

yeah, that doesnt work for me, no reset has done anything, hard reset or a reset from the GUI, Netflix cant connect at all and I cant even get it to load far enough to give me a code, as soon as I hit yes for the question “are you already a member of netflix” it errors out instantly, somewhere it isnt making a connection at all with Netflix and it wont let me anymore, so that temporary solution doesnt work for me and I’ve still not received a reply from WD tech support that I put in on the 3rd of July