WDTV Live Plus - MKV and chapters

Hi all, thanks for stopping to read this.  I’ve done lots of searches and have found some posts that dance around my problem, but nothing exactly and I’m hoping I’m just doing something silly here…

I recently purchased the Live Plus and have enjoyed it so far.  However, the one thing I cannot get a handle on is skipping chapters in movies.  I’m almost positive that the first time I tried the unit it was working, but since I haven’t seen it work since maybe it’s my own shoddy memory!  I’m working with standard DVDs ripped to MKV with Handbrake pretty much using its defaults.  So with that said, this is the current behavior that I’ve seen:

1. If I have multiple movies in one folder, pressing the >>| button does not skip to the next chapter, but rather to the next movie in that folder.  This same behavior occurs whether I start the movie with the enter or the play button.  From what I gather this is expected behavior but I was hoping somebody could clarify that.

2. If I have one movie per folder, pressing the >>| button will skip to the next movie if I have selected all video (again, I tend to think this is expected behavior?), but if I navigate into the folder and select the file pressing the >>| button just gives me the red “no” circle in the corner of the screen.  This same behavior occurs whether I start the movie with the enter or the play button.

3. No matter how I’ve started the movie, I am able to skip chapters after pressing the option button and finding the chapters that way.  This tells me that on some level the device understands that my files have chapters within them.  Between this and being able to skip chapters on my home computer I am thinking that the files are not the issue.

This is the one piece I’ve yet to get working right.  For the most part it’s not a big deal since the skip 10 minutes feature works, but since this is supposed to be a supported feature of the device I’d love to figure out what’s wrong.  For what it’s worth I’ve tested this on a little 2GB stick and a WD external HD with the same results.  I don’t know if the source makes any difference here.

Again, thanks for reading and I hope somebody has some ideas for me.

*edit* - I’m realizing this probably should have gone to the general discussion.  Sorry if I put this in the wrong place…

-aaron

No, sounds to me like you’re doing it exactly right.

1.  That’s the correct behavior.

2.  That’s the correct behavior.

3.  That, too, is the correct behavior for selecting chapters in MKVs.

The ONLY file format for which >>| sends you to the next chapter is DVD.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Tony.  I guess whatever I’m remembering doing early on with the device wasn’t accurate if this is all expected behavior.  I’ll go ahead and train the family to use the 10 minute jump and stop banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make this work!

-aaron