WDTV Live (Firmware v1.06.43) Problems/Questions

WDTV Live with Firmware v1.06.43

1.  Folder.jpg does not get displayed when Folder/Movie is named  $5 Dollars A Day. Same goes for the $5 Dollars A Day.jpg image in the folder. I suspect that it is the “$” sign that’s causing the issue.

2.  No audio is heard when playing 24bit/88.2kHz and 24bit/176.4kHz FLAC files. However, there is no problem with 24bit/192kHz or 24bit/96kHz FLAC files.

Anyone else?

Hello,

Edit: Just verified this myself. The “$” does display when used on a file name. thanks to  pearl and  TonyPh12345 for the correction.

Check out this link to see if it would be of help.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4NDQ1Mzk5Mi9zaWQvOFEzcm9sRmw%3D

HDKnows wrote:

Hello,

The name is not displayed because the “$” sign is not supported. 

Check out this link to see if it would be of help.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4NDQ1Mzk5Mi9zaWQvOFEzcm9sRmw%3D

The “$” sign seems to work fine for me on my live+, at least over network shares. I already had a few folders that start with a “$” and the device sees them fine. To test the question above, I made a directory called $Test, and copied a jpeg and an MP3, each startng with “$” into that directory.  I was able to see the jpgs and play the mp3, without issue. I am doing this over a network share though, and am not using the media library.

Not really helpful to the original question, but it does seem to work.

Using the “.” though will hide directories, and works really well when you have files or shares that you don’t want your device to see or catalog.

Good Luck

-P

Forget the technical.  Let’s skip to the semantics.

$5 Dollars a Day…

… is redundant.

$5 a Day

or 

Five Dollars a Day

would be correct.  :laughing:

But back to the technical, yes, there’s nothing wrong with ‘$’ in folders / path names, as long as both devices are correctly implementing filename encodings.

…To test the question above, I made a directory called $Test, and copied a jpeg and an MP3, each startng with “$” into that directory.  I was able to see the jpgs and play the mp3, without issue…

I’m refering to the “thumbnails” of the movie/song not showing up.

home>>movie>>network share>>shared folders>>all the thumbnails of movies

The one with " $ xxxxx" does not display the movie poster (folder.jpg) that it’s supposed to and just shows the default icon.

Please confirm.

As a test you could rename the files with the $ sign removed.

richUK wrote:

As a test you could rename the files with the $ sign removed.

It works without the $ sign.

It fails to display the cover art when the $ sign is present.

Incorrect information!

• 16 bit / 88.2kHz
  • 16 bit / 176.4kHz
  • 24bit / 88.2kHz
  • 24bit / 176.4kHz

WAV files all fail to play…

Out of interest

Where did you get the table?

Why are you now talking about wav files?

kHz and Kbps are 2 different things…:smiley:

richUK wrote:

Out of interest

It’s from a link posted by HDKnows…

I had 2 queries…WAV files is the other…

RedNas74 wrote:

kHz and Kbps are 2 different things…:smiley:

I didn’t notice that. Typo? Who the $%#@ has 32kbps WAV files?

whistler wrote:

richUK wrote:

Out of interest

It’s from a link posted by HDKnows…

I had 2 queries…WAV files is the other…

That’s from the list for a different player.

Note above the list it says,

Media File Formats Supported on the WD Elements Play (Based on Firmware Version 1.01.10)

The two original queries were the $ sign and flac files, so what is the query regarding wav files.