WD TV Live not playing 1080p mkv in fullscreen

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with my WD TV Live and that is that it’s not playing my .mkv 1080p movies in fullscreen on my Panasonic plasma (TX-P42G10E). Aspect ratio on TV is set to ‘Automatic’ and for some reason 1080p movies have those two black blanks on top and under the picture. Some 720p movies do run in fullscreen but not all.

Because not all videos are in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Most movies are not. To maintain the correct aspect ratio for the movie the display is letter-boxed (the black bars) so you don’t get vertical distortion of the picture. 

I have a problem with my WD TV Live and that is that it’s not playing my .mkv 1080p movies in fullscreen on my Panasonic plasma (TX-P42G10E).

If you wanted 16:9 movies, for them to completely fill the screen with no letterboxing/pillarboxing, then you should have cropped them to 16:9 when you made your encodes.

The WDTV has no way to know whether you’d personally want the video stretched or cropped (and most people don’t want that at all-- they want the video to display properly)… all it can go by is what’s in the video file.  If the video file is 2.35:1, then it’s displayed at 2.35:1, regardless of what the aspect of the screen is.

parnott100 wrote:

Because not all videos are in a 16:9 aspect ratio. Most movies are not. To maintain the correct aspect ratio for the movie the display is letter-boxed (the black bars) so you don’t get vertical distortion of the picture. 

:this: ^

It’s normal for many 16:9 movies to have black bars top and bottom.  If you really want the entire screen filled, use the TV remote to change the way it’s displayed, from ‘wide’ to ‘full’ or something similar, but as Parnott noted, the image will appear somewhat distorted.

I only have Zoom 1,2,3 option and if I do that I will miss edges of the movie. Never mind I understand now. Thank you all for replying.