WD TV Live no longer recognizes any video files

As of yesterday, my 2 WD TV Live boxes will not play any videos, even ones that I had played the previous day.

Messages says it does not support that format.

I am storing my videos on a 2TB WD Network drive and am able to play them on my PCs.

Just noticed that I cannot stream on Tunein either, same unsupported format message.

Both boxes are at the latest release level.

Have you tried unplugging it, waiting a few seconds, then plugging it back in?

1 Like

Yes, restarted both WD TVs and rebooted the network drive, no change.

I have the same problem and it started yesterday too. 

Ditto here… Last few weeks sees my WD Live TV unable to play files it used to be good to play. Guess I’ll have to go the factory reset path… :expressionless:

Reset to factory defaults made no difference. Seems its a planned obsolescence thing! Grrr!

Oh, and to be clear… upon playing a video file, it will blank the screen and show the progress/info bar at the bottom for a few seconds, then go to totally black screen for about 10 seconds, then return to the menu stating it was an unknown format. Seems to be doing it for all files. Stu.

Help!!  I am having the same problem! Anyone have a solution?

There seems to be a weird issue with the 2.01.86 firmware I haven’t yet been able to reproduce. It happened to me on several occasions that files would not play when I had switched on the WDTV (completely powered off before). What fixes this everytime is to turn on the WDTV and change the TV channel to it and watch the whole boring process. Only when it’s completely booted up, I attach the HDD and now all files play again. Wether it’s a handshake thing between WDTV and TV or WDTV and HDD, I can’t say but this routine always works for me.

I was able to get everything working by following TonyPh12345’s recommendation.

Instead of just powering off and rebooting, I unplugged the units for 30 seconds and they restarted normally.

I’ve just encountered this the other night and again the only thing that helped was to power-cycle the device. Unplugging HDMI or HDD did change nothing. Weird.