WD TV Live+ does not see .srt subtitle file(s)

I have the WD TV Live Plus HD Media unit and it doesnt seem to find the subtitles files.  I have a few movies that have .sub and .idx subtitle and those worked just fine.  95% of the movies that uses srt subtitle does not show up.  The movie would play just fine but when going to the subtitle in option, it said no subtitle.  The srt file are the same name as the movie file name and in the same folder.  When viewing the same movies on my laptop everything work just fine. 

I’ve read through the “WD TV LIVE subtitle issues” thread but found no solution.  The thread was more of subtitle not displaying correctly.  My issue is it doesnt even see the file.   

Anyone know a remedy for this?  Maybe something wrong with the srt file?

Thank for any helps.

Does it happens by USB or from a network location? If it happens from a network location try accessing the movies by Network Shares.

It happen on network steam.  I will try what you suggest tonight when i get home.  Thanks.

Make sure the stem is identical. Sometimes with long names this won’t be obvious at first glance where you might miss a blank or dot.

Nope didnt work.  I tried with both network share and media server.  Any other thing to try?

P.S the file name are good… i think.  Doesnt start with space or dot.  My movie naming format is “movie_name year quality.movie_format”.  Eg  “Transformer 2011 1080p.avi”.  Subtitles are name in the same convention (Transformer 2011 1080p.srt)

How are you streaming?  I use Twonky media, it it doesn’t support the subtitles via streaming, so I cannot used them with the WD.  Never tried accessing the movie directly over the network though.

Apparently DLNA does not support SRTs? Use network shares instead

Transformer 2011 1080p.avi

Transformer 2011 1080p.srt

should work.

So i tried again, network share worked just fine.  Media share is still an issue.  I am using PS3 Media server, maybe that’s the problem?

I think you’ll find that most media servers don’t work with external subtitles.

They work well with internal (muxed-in) subtitles, though.