WD TV Live Plus not detecting external had drive

I just got my new WD HD TV Live Plus and when I connected it to the Internet, It asked me for a firmware update…I did that…Now it’s not detecting my external hard Drive(Elements). Any help is greatly appreciated?

My Live did that with 1.04.31.

After the update, USB2 was available, but USB1 wouldn’t show up, and the USB light on the WDTV just kept flashing.

When I tried powering the WDTV off, the screen turned off, but the power light stayed on, and the USP light kept flashing.  It was trying to finish whatever it had gotten stuck doing.

After 3 hours (I didn’t want to cause corruption if it really _ was _ doing something, and not just stuck), I pulled the power plug out of the WDTV.  I waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in.

The WDTV came back on, and both USB1 and USB2 were available, and no flashing USB light (after the initial scans of the drives).

I had a similar problem with an iomega prestige 500 gb external hdd.

The drive was no longer detected by the wd tv live.  The wd tv live had no problem with usb sticks or other harddrives.

The usb-light on the wd tv live came on for about one second but the drive was not being scanned.

I performed a roll back to a previous firmware version, but the problem persisted.

I solved the problem as follows :

I connected the drive to a Windows 7 pc, went into Disk Management and right clicked on the drive.  Here I chose the option do Decrease the Volume.  I did this by 10 Megabyte.  It only took 60 seconds.  After that the problem was solved.

Was it mbr related or something to do with the partition table ?  I don’t know.  

I upgraded the firmware to the latest version 1.05.04 and everything still works fine.

Thanks much ccwriter…This solved my problem